The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with some pregnant goats that are much to small. What should I be feeding them to prepare them for labor? And how much I really dont want to loose them plzz help! They are younger not sure in the age tho.

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
If you know the due date then know the last month of being bred the kids grow the most. I have 2 doelings I really didn't want bred but they said they know better. They are not very far along so I'm still slamming the feed to them so they still grow and am planning on cutting grain back to nothing the last month. I have over the years had a few ooppsss and they have been fine but make sure your there to help when its time for kids to come. If they are not that far along you can still use lute.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I bought them from a guy he doesnt know anything about them. He left these 4 does with the bucks all their lives except for a week before I bought them so I dont have any due dates but he said they were around nine months, but they are as big as my 6 month old sannen and shes not as big as she she be either from cocci. Hope that covers it all

· Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
509 Posts
They need weight, but check their udders and watch them to see what they act like. I don't care if they still have months to go, watching them works. There are weight supplements avaible for goats. I have never tried them. It might be something to look into. Other than that 14% sweet feed or above might be a good idea. I am not sure what percentages you are supposed to feed pregant does though.

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Can you post some pictures? How long have you had them?

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They need weight, but check their udders and watch them to see what they act like. I don't care if they still have months to go, watching them works. There are weight supplements avaible for goats. I have never tried them. It might be something to look into. Other than that 14% sweet feed or above might be a good idea. I am not sure what percentages you are supposed to feed pregant does though.
I have some sweet feed. Do u think I should seperate them from the herd so they can get their proper nutrition?

· 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,703 Posts
Raspberry leaves are great support through pregnancy, plenty of calcium (alfalfa hay or pellets is great), and I would suggest Ewe-Ter-N from Fir Meadow when they go into labor. Ewe-Ter-N helps with correct positioning and strong pushes. Kat wrote that one year she had an injured doe who was pregnant. This doe couldn't stand by herself, Kat had to go out twice a day and try to hold her up in a sling and walk her around. As such, she didn't get a lot of exercise and that is a recipe for a tough kidding. Kat gave her Ewe-Ter-N once contractions start (you don't give it before), and the doe delivered a huge, single kid in perfect position, with no problems.

I haven't used it myself yet, but I plan to. Hopefully it helps my girls too. :)

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thabks for all the suggestions. I have some pics

I could only get one :(

Dog breed Whiskers Snout Tail Fur

This is how big they are

Terrestrial animal Goat Grass Livestock Fur

Wood Tints and shades Natural material Human leg Concrete

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
How about just pictures of them. Not back end or top, just them out grazing or standing. They don't look that small to me at all.

· Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
509 Posts
I have some sweet feed. Do u think I should seperate them from the herd so they can get their proper nutrition?
I would most certainly do that at feeding times or maybe overnight. Keeping them with the herd when they are not eating however will keep their stress level down and if they stress than they could lose more weight. Can you give us a pic with something to compare it too? like a person or another full-sized goat?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.