The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm freaking out a bit...I'm brand spanking new to goats, and my two 8 week old boer cross doelings have been tethered outside for the past two hours.( I thought) I made sure they could NOT reach anything I didn't want them eating...like the oak tree. I do not know HOW Butterscotch got this, she was standing on the very edge of the yard at the tree line near some fallen leaves. I saw something orange and ran over...and she was eating this mushroom!! You can see what she got...but I dont know if this was the only one or not...is it going to kill her???? What should I do?????

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Just watch for signs of distress or poisoning (ie. mouth foaming, coughing, stargazing, etc.). Do you have activated charcoal?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I do not...I can't find it (I wanted to add it to my emergency supplies) at my local TS or SS. Is there anything else???

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
Milk of magnsia will help if she shows signs of poisoning...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far she hasn't shown any signs. I just put them in their pen with the fan blowing on the cuz they were panting...dummies wouldn't go in the shade, they decided to bake in the hot sun :eek: There's baking soda in there free choice, so if her tummy feels upset hopefully she'll eat some. I did stick my finger in it and rubbed it in her mouth. I'm gonna keep checking on her. But, so far so good. IF it's the mushroom I think it is, people eat them, so it shouldn't be toxic. I *think* it is an Orange Milkcap, but I am by far no mushroom expert...I only eat mushrooms I get in the store LOL.

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
just keep an eye on her..I bet she will be fine..most goats wont eat poisonous plants if they are not starving...But some will sample out of curiosity..M.O.M will bind the poison if she needs it...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eh, dunno if I have MOM on hand...I'll have to check. If not, I'll have to run to wallyworld, which is the closest store...about 20 minutes.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if you need activated charcoal, you can find it in the aquarium aisle. it's loose. i have the loose stuff on hand. if you need to use it, you can powder it and mix with water or something then drench. i've just put it in my girl's food and she just eats it without issue.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Just to make you feel better, I just read yesterday that beet greens are considered poisonous to goats! :eek: BEET GREENS of all things! I had heard of Rhubarb being poisonous, but not beets. We have fed beet greens to ours goats tons of times, and I never noticed it bothering them at all. :shrug: I probably won't do it anymore, but I am thinking some "poisonous" plants are more mild than some. I guess I'm saying they'd probably have to eat a LOT of some things for it to bother them.
Like oak leaves- a little is fine, they love 'em- just not too much.:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if they eat a couple of oak leaves it's ok??? Cuz i'm so paranoid...if I see them munching on one I run and take it out of their mouths and tell them NO! :confused:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Mine have eaten oak.. I know some people on here have said the same.. Same with acorns...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Just to make you feel better, I just read yesterday that beet greens are considered poisonous to goats! :eek: BEET GREENS of all things! I had heard of Rhubarb being poisonous, but not beets. We have fed beet greens to ours goats tons of times, and I never noticed it bothering them at all. :shrug: I probably won't do it anymore, but I am thinking some "poisonous" plants are more mild than some. I guess I'm saying they'd probably have to eat a LOT of some things for it to bother them.
Like oak leaves- a little is fine, they love 'em- just not too much.:)
beet greens are on the safe list from Fiasco Farms. so don't worry about feeding them to goats. :)
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just gave them another of their bottles for the day...and they both seem perfectly normal. Nothing different. Wouldn't I have seen signs of poisoning by now if it were going to happen?

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
She is probably fine. BTW, you shouldn't tether your goats it is an extremely dangerous hazard!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is probably fine. BTW, you shouldn't tether your goats it is an extremely dangerous hazard!
Seriously??? I have read that others tether theirs! I thought it was ok! Why is it a hazard? They can't get tangled on anything! And they have nylon collars on...I mean, I won't do it if it's a hazard...but I'm curious as to WHY it's a hazard!

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
tethering is fine if they are well supervised ..getting tangled is one danger because goats panic and can hurt themselves or cant reach water or shade..other dangers are they cant get away from danger such as a neiborhood dog and so forth...But if you supervise by checking often and there is nothing to tangle on, and no chance a preditor can get in the yard.. I wouldnt worry...

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
beet greens are on the safe list from Fiasco Farms. so don't worry about feeding them to goats. :)
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm
Well, I'm not surprised, since it never bothered our goats at all...:) but I actually read it in my "Goat Notes", which is just a pamphlet of info on goat care that I got in my NDGA membership packet, sooo IDK, I guess it was just a mistake. :shrug:

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Can they get tangled in the rope, leash, etc. ? Also, if you have coyotes or any other predators, they can't run. Or hide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts