The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No they can't get tangled...I put them away from everything but the grass and weeds. As for predators, yep got lots. Coyotes, bobcats, bears, hawks, owls, foxes, *****, possums...and stray/roaming dogs. But if a predator really wants to have goat for dinner...it won't matter if they are tethered or in the fenced in area. A bear will rip through it. A coyote and stray dog can jump over or dug under it. A bobcat can climb a tree and attack from above, and a hawk can swoop down and attack from above. The only difference is that the babies will live a fraction of a second longer in the fenced in area as opposed to being on a tether, because they can run...but they will get caught because they can't get OUT of the fenced in area.

I'm either not going to tether them or only do it for a short period of time during the day. I haven't decided which. If I keep them in the goat shed, then I'll just have to bring browse to them. But the only things I know of that are safe are blackberry bushes and grape vines. I don't know what else in my yard (large enough) I can cut to throw in there...can goats eat forsythia branches? Or sassafras tree limbs? Most of my trees are chestnut oak. I do have a couple tulip poplar and persimmon.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I feed all of mine oak leaves - but there are different varieties so maybe its only certain ones that are poisonous - apparently what I have are not, as they eat them all the time and are happy as little clams :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts