The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 month baby goat that got into old oil. Can you please help me with ways to get this thick mess off of her. I have been washing her in dawn, she can stand now but I still need a way to get it all off her whole body. I am attached to her because I lost her mother. Please help me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm really not sure if his old gear oil or what. We recently moved on a farm so our kids (goats) could have bigger home and precious found this thick mess and I just lost her mother last week . Precious looks just like her mother and I love all my goats but I'm really attached to her because of the lost of her mother. Help me please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please help me I don't want to lose my baby goat. How can I remove old gear oil off my goat. Right now I'm covered in it too because i have been bathing her in dawn, apple cider vinegar. I'm not worried about me, just want to say my little precious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some of it came off but she's still has it on her face belly and hooves. Can I soak her in warm water with dawn then rinse her off? I have even tried to trim her hair. Please help she looks just like her mother that I lost recently.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
She said she's been using Dawn. But if there's a lot of oil, Dawn isn't strong enough. If the powder method doesn't work, I'd be heading the hardware store to look for a chemical tar/grease remover to wipe over the surface of her hair and try to at least get the worst areas under control.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I did some of it came off but she's still has it on her face belly and hooves. Can I soak her in warm water with dawn then rinse her off? I have even tried to trim her hair. Please help she looks just like her mother that I lost recently.
You can soak her in warm water with Dawn. Just make sure to dry her very thoroughly afterwards. The face is tricky though. Can't submerge her head, and you definitely can't use a chemical grease remover anywhere near her eyes! You'll have to be careful about getting powder in her eyes too, but at least if it does get in and irritates them a bit it shouldn't cause any damage.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,896 Posts
I read that vegetable oil can be used to get the motor oil to come off. Like dissolves like, so that is why water doesn't work. You could try working the vegetable oil into her coat and that might work. You could then use the dawn to wash out the vegetable oil. Watch her for signs of poisoning too. Diarrhea or vomiting. If she ingested any it could be bad for her. I hope it turns out okay! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want to thank everyone for all your suggestions. The baby is doing better she is actually back out in the field with the other goats. She is eating running and so far her normal self. I'm praying she continues to improve more each day. God bless you all and please stay safe from the coronavirus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts