The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not post a video here of my own but I found one on YouTube that looks just like my baby goat's leg. It doesn't say in the video what's wrong with the leg.

I've tried wrapping and bracing it, but it kinda just drags the leg now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He was born Sunday. I didn't have selenium on hand but my husband picked some up for me yesterday and I've given baby a pea sized dollop yesterday and today.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yup, selenium. Keep giving. You can brace the leg to allow freer movement as this corrects itself. Vet Wrap (found in feed stores, TSC, etc) compressing a toilet paper tube that's been pressed into the proper shape for the affected leg works really well.

This means the mom is deficient as well. Give her some selenium, too. 5 cc per week for a month, then once a month may be enough.

What are your minerals like?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay! We just learned that Selenium works wonders! We kept the leg braced for several days and suddenly it was all better and he was happily jumping around!! We gave babies a pea sized dollop for 5 days. And mamas 2 pea sized dollops too but you say mamas need it once a week? We will go to that then. They've had 4 days worth.

Mineral.. I'm embarred to tell that we've been giving them cow mineral. We now have goat mineral. We didn't know mineral was available specifically for goats.

·
8,248 Posts
Goats are a constant learning curve. Cow minerals can work sometimes, goat minerals might or not work for others. Each goat and area are different. Sometimes it is trial and error!
You are doing great!

·
14,774 Posts
Just wanted to say that selenium isn't always the issue. Space can definitely cause this. We had 2 doe kids born with legs like that. One not too bad - triplet and she was fine hours later.
The other was worse, had to drag back legs, then one bent oddly - big twins, small mom. She was 100% within 1 1/2 days with no intervention, not even selenium.
Usually if they have a good strong suck reflex, mom is healthy and up to date on selenium supplement, I think selenium deficiency isn't as bad. JMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts