The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our little doe Pygmy two days now. She has munched on a little grass but is defiant when it comes to the bottle. The nipple is goats type and milk is warm but she won't take it even if we gently open her mouth and try to encourage her. How long can she go without milk and what can I do to better encourage her

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
We have had our little doe Pygmy two days now. She has munched on a little grass but is defiant when it comes to the bottle. The nipple is goats type and milk is warm but she won't take it even if we gently open her mouth and try to encourage her. How long can she go without milk and what can I do to better encourage her
How old is she? I would make sure milk is 102 degrees and put a little honey on your finger rub it on her tongue in the back of her mouth to encourage her to suckle also put honey on the nipple after she has suckled on your finger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was part of a huge heard a man was practically giving away. I stumbled upon the situation and was so afraid the wrong ppl would get her. She was on her momma and is about 3 weeks old. She has never been bottle fed And does eat some grass but haven't seen her try her water yet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just tried molasses and honey. No way she says. She won't let me even if I hold her and force her mouth open. Idk. Maybe more time so she can get hungrier?

·
Registered
930 Posts
maybe try the softest nipple you can find, you will probably have to put it in her mouth and try to keep there long enough for a little milk to dribble out, maybe she will get the taste and go for it...

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Get a temp on the kid, to make sure things are OK.

What kind/color of nipple are you using? It is best to have one about the same size as momma was. The hole shouldn't be cut too big or too small, at the end, if you have to cut it.

How is her gums/lower eyelid color?
Watch for worms and cocci, the stress may trigger them.

Being 3 weeks old, she may never take the bottle unfortunately.

You can keep trying. If she doesn't take it. Try to bucket train her. Wash the buck after every use.

If that doesn't work, give her some milk pellets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She looks healthy and all seems well (eyes, gums, etc) I put her in the barnyard with my pot belly pig and she ate grass and hay, drank from the trough and climbed on the stable. If I can keep her drinking and eating like that will she be ok? I mean if she never takes the bottle

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
She looks healthy and all seems well (eyes, gums, etc) I put her in the barnyard with my pot belly pig and she ate grass and hay, drank from the trough and climbed on the stable. If I can keep her drinking and eating like that will she be ok? I mean if she never takes the bottle
What kind of hay? At this age she needs alfalfa or, at the very least, a good quality grass/alfalfa hay. Does your pig eat grain? If so, he/she will teach the goat how to eat grain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting alfalfa hay today. I have fescue so getting her the good stuff. Big Dixie the pig is eating grain and hog chow. I'm posting a sweet pic from their first encounter. Dixie allowing the baby to climb on her and even taste her face and ears..

·
558 Posts
Looks like she is trying to get milk from that ear LOL :p !!
I would keep trying on the bottle. I know its frustrating but I wouldn't give up for awhile. 3 weeks seems way too young. She needs the nutrition to grow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it's been a consistent attempt to bottle feed. She's not having it but she is eating the alfalfa hay and pellets bad grass so her appetite is good. I won't give up. Today shes doing good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts