HELP!!! Bad teat.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tyler, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    One of my goats has developed a wound or something on her right teat. It could be a buildup of blood, or it's just swollen - Idk. Anyway, no milk is coming out of the teat. What do I do??? :help:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Could it be mastitis??

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would continue to try to milk it. Massage it and her utter. Put warm compresses on it and keep trying. I had a doe that did that and it took forever (it seemed like) to get it unclogged. Hes would do that because her teat was almost on the ground when she was kidding (she was a old lady). I would "milk" out a long spaghetti noodle looking thing out of her, then she was fine. The vet said it was her way of clogging the teat os she did not get a infection Mastitis.

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would rub some tea tree oil on the teat ...it will help if any infection has started and will reduce swelling

5. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I cleaned the teat, and that unclogged it. It was a bloody wound that bled and dried over the hole, and thus clogging it. What should I continue doing to keep the teat in good condition?

6. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    Can you lightly cover the wound with a bandaid? I'd clean it and lightly cover it if possible (maybe put a titch of neosporin cream on it).

7. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. I shall try that.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Does she have kids on her? If so, their teeth can and will abrade the teats...I use bag balm, the original stuff in the green can, it won't hurt the kids and it helps the healing process, if no kids, she likely scraped it on something...a briar maybe, neosporin will help but if you are milking her be sure to wash her thoroughly.

9. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    She has one kid who she is weaning. I'll look into getting some balm. Do you know of a site where I could order some online?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA