The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I banded this little guy on June 11th (he was born 3/21/13) and everything seemed to be going ok but today I noticed this (see picture).
I washed the area with peroxide, I applied triple antibiotic cream and I gave him a shot of Penicilin. I have banded 3 other goats this year and none of them had any discharge or raw skin showing. Is this normal? Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Its hard to tell from the picture ... is it oozing puss? Definitely keep something on it like blukote but not too much or the band will rot, and maybe use some fly spray to keep the flies off of him. Pennicillin definitely I would do.

I had a lot of trouble with banding this year too - one lost the band after a few weeks and had to be rebanded. Another one got infected and they just would not fall off so we put another band on. It seemed to take everyone a long time and a lot of blukote, but we are finally testicle free :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info. I think I have blukote (that's the blue spray that helps with healing open sores, right? I think I bought it when I was treating another goat for hoof rot.)
I am going to double check to make sure the band is still there.I didn't notice any puss, the only things I noticed was a bright green spot which I'm guessing is from the color of the band band itself and then the dark brown discharge around the top and also down his legs (which i'm guessing is from the way he lays down it rubs on his legs).
But shouldn't he be running a fever if he had an infection? His temp was 103.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
the picture isnt very clear, but Since its been almost a month the testes are already dried..I think cuting the sack off might help it heal faster..I say this knowing I would be sweamish to do it myself lol..but once you have it cut off you can treat the wound and allow healing without the pressure of the band..once they are cut off, bluekote will help heal and keep the flies off...since you began the pen...I would do a full 5-7 days ...best wishes

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm scared of cutting because i'm afraid of excessive bleeding but i guess there should be no bleeding at this point. right?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
the band pretty much cut off the blood vessels...there could be some bleeding..but not a lot...be ready with ice pack to slow any bleeding that seems too much..be sure your knife is very sharp and try to do one swift motion, a clean slice is less likely to bleed as much....a bit of banamine might help with pain...I would def. give him a tetanus antitoxin shot either way..

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of my bucklings that same "green spot." I sprayed it (gently) with the "tamed" iodine that Hoegger sells and sprinkled some Vitamin C on his tiny grain ration to fight any infection. He perked up in a day or two :) Hope your little guy feels better soon!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Like everyone said, its hard to tell in the pic, but to me it looks like just dead blood. Does it smell at all?? He will be A-ok cutting it off. We usually cut our calfs with a knife, this year we went ahead and banded, and this was my first year banding kids as well :) but we talked to one guy, he said he puts the band on, waits 3 days and cuts it off. Another thing you can use if it bleeds is flour. I actually use that more then anything else on bleeding.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The green spot is the band so the band is still there.
My concern is that the sack is detaching ABOVE the band causing an open sore on his abdomen. I don't think this is good.
He is still eating and is active and his temp is 103. I cleaned him with Peroxide and sprayed bluekote all around the open sore (above the band).
He had his CD/T just a few weeks ago but I still think I should take him to the vet for a tetanus and maybe ask the vet to cut it off and put a couple of stitches. Any advice before I go spend all this $$$ at the vet?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
If I remember right it will detatch from above the band, we have found them in the grss with the green band still attached lol.....if you choose to wait it out, which is perfectly fine to do, just keep a close eye on it for infection..hopefully he wont snag it on anything OUCH..but it acually look ok..the pic is very good by the way ;) I wouldnt use peroxide to clean it any more..choose iodine to clean around it to help dry the area up and you can use blukote to keep the flies away or Apple Cider Vinegar and water 50/50...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for your advice. My little goat is doing great. I kept it clean with peroxide and bluekote and I gave him penicilin for a few days just in case. The sack finally fell off and the sore on his abdomen is just about healed.
You guys are the greatest !!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts