Help! Bloody Scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by badnewsboers, Mar 5, 2009.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Today I noticed two of our hardiest mature does had the scours. They had it bad too-extremely watery. One is acting a bit off the other is not acting sick at all. Ken and I dosed them both with Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim tablets.

Then we stopped and looked at a puddle one of the does had left and there were these long bloody strands in them. I have never seen anything like it.

Here is a picture I took with my phone:
    [​IMG]

It reminds me of the gunk that follows kidding. But this stuff is coming out the wrong place for it to be that. Feed store was already closed but we're going to get some Equimax tomorrow and dose them with that. We also gave them some antitoxin just to cover our bases. But honestly I am stumped.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Black and tarry, yellow to greenish watery OR Grey foul smelling Scours-- Sometimes with blood or tissue- high fever accompanies. Babies to adults: It could be: Salmonellosis

Is she running any fever?

Prayinmg she gets better.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I wonder if the strands are just grass with tissue on them.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bloody stools is a sign of coccidia too. I would get a fecal done. Treating them for what it could be might end up being a waste of money. Best to get a sample to the vet to be sure of what you are dealing with

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Since she treated with Sulfa, that would help if itwas cocci wouldn't it?

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    The scours do not have a foul smell to them. And I am already using a sulfa drug.

These are definite strands. We checked a couple puddles and they all had them.

There are no livestock vets around here and the pet vets won't do fecals for us.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont tell them its from a goat :wink:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with stacey....

yes
    ..... but as stacey said ...it may be a good idea.... to get a sample done anyway.. just in case it is something else.....and nip it in the bud quickly.... any blood signs is not a good thing ...and you should also watch for anemia.....how is her gums? :worried:
    From the picture it looks serious.... :shocked: :worried:

9. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Oh My Gosh you are too funny!!!!!! That just made me laugh!

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Both have bright red eyes and gums.

yes
    ..... but as stacey said ...it may be a good idea.... to get a sample done anyway.. just in case it is something else.....and nip it in the bud quickly.... any blood signs is not a good thing ...and you should also watch for anemia.....how is her gums? :worried:
    From the picture it looks serious.... :shocked: :worried:[/quote:1n9wqmb1]

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is good.... there gums and eyes look good.....