The Goat Spot Forum banner

Help! Bow-legged goat

4K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  mariarose 
#1 ·
I noticed that a friend of mine's goat was having a very difficult time getting around. They assume they will have to put him down soon, but I think they should have a vet look at him first. He is "middle-aged" and in this past year has developed to what you see in the photos. He was walking okay (sort of stiff and on his toes) today but uses his knees a lot too. Does anyone know what this is or what could help? Ive expresses my concerns and I hope they have a vet out soon. Im willing to take care of him and do whatever is needed, unfortunately aside from a costly surgery. I feel terrible for the poor guy:(
Plant Liver Fawn Sky Dog breed

See less See more
#2 ·
Some quick thoughts, and I'll keep thinking...

Minerals being leached from bones (including calcium) are linked to too much highly processed sodium and too much phosphoric acid and too much caffeine.

Also linked to too little Vitamin D-3 and too little protein.

As I said, I'll keep thinking.

Reactions: Trollmor
#4 · (Edited)
I found this online

The more phosphorous you consume, the higher your needs for calcium become. Because your body uses stored calcium from your bones when it does not get enough from what you eat, accumulating too much phosphorus in your body can affect your bone density

And also this elsewhere.
A vitamin D deficiency makes it difficult for [the] body to maintain sufficient levels of calcium and phosphate. When this occurs, [the] body produces hormones that cause calcium and phosphate to be released from [the] bones. When... bones lack these minerals, they become weak and soft.

#28 · (Edited)
had a colt born with legs that looked like that, they where splinted for a few weeks and fixed it, but he was a day old...
Yes, and this has developed in adult age. But maybe rakitis can?

PS Now having read the whole thread, I understand that it will then be called something else, obviously mainly because of a different biochemical prehistory, but the treatment seems to be the same: Vitamin D, and an adjustment of calcium and phosphorus.

And I think we all forgot to say WELCOME to the forum! :)

#15 ·
That sure looks like rickets ( vit D def) I would start Cod liver oil which is rich with Vit D. also you can get vit A&D ..Could also be Epiphysitis or both. Let me get some info for you on that.

@happybleats has recently mentioned a liquid mineral cocktail. Perhaps she could tell us more here.
. I make an herbal tea for parasites. was there another I mentioned? ( brain dead today)

#10 ·
I found this page informative, but not really "soundbite" friendly. It seems to back up what I'd found so far, especially on the Vitamin D-3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteomalacia

I'm afraid I have to stop for right now. My husband needs me. I'll be back later to check on things.

I'm sorry I wasn't more definitive.

#14 ·
@Bendor342 Your reply makes me think High Phosphorus.
just a general mineral supplement.
ANY idea what that is, at all???

Not picking on you, it is only that can mean so many different things.

If others in the herd aren't showing signs of needing mineral supplementation, I'll be very surprised.

#16 ·
#17 · (Edited)
I don't know his age, but they've had him for a few years. Today he was walking around fairly well (I will try to attach a video) but he has been using his knees a lot to walk too which has resulted in them being calloused. He can get up and on his feet to stand and walk but definitely can't keep up with the rest of the herd. He surprisingly doesn't act like he's in pain though.

@IHEARTGOATS

#19 ·
Here what I found for dosing of Cod Liver oil 0.1 cc per 2.2 pounds twice daily for 3 days then twice a week for 2 weeks. Dr Christophers Vitalerbs is also a good all around herbal blend he can have daily. You can mix about 1/4 cup in a pound of Kelp to let him free feed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.