The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· QueenieBell
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a full sized Nubian who kidded once and three weeks ago took her to see a buck when she was in heat. There were three successful "hooks ups" we saw and I brought her home. It was a drive by breeding. Today, three weeks later she is in heat. I have heard of a "standing heat" or a false heat after they are bred but this is new to me. It's my first time breeding. Any thoughts? Could she actually be pregnant or do you all think it's a long shot and should be bred again.

Thank you!!

Sylvia

· Registered
3,499 Posts
I agree with Stacey. If they're bred towards the end of heat (theres a 12-16 hour period of standing heat) then they likely won't take.

I used lute to bring my girl in. Gave her 3cc 10 days before seeing the buck and 3cc again the morning she went to the breeders house. By the next morning she was standing for him and now she's due for February kids. We only left her there 3 days. A lot of breeders I know have had success breeding with this method.

· Premium Member
28,342 Posts
Just to add = my doe DID STAND for the buck. But I believe she was at the end of her standing heat because I saw her in full heat when I woke up but my husband had already fed earlier that morning and I had a newborn to take care of and couldnt get out to the goat pen - by the time I fed that night (which was very late once my husband got home and could take care of the baby) I think she was just about out of standing heat. So its likely the sperm didnt make it to the egg before it was to late. I did leave her with the buck all night and into the next afternoon as well.

So all that to say you can breed when in standing heat but it doesnt always take.

· QueenieBell
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I did take her back to a buck - in fact two bucks within half hour! She flagged and stood for them both. I think I got her there at a good time - she started heat Friday afternoon and I took her to the bucks midday Saturday and heat lasted through Sunday. Hope this now worked!

Sylvia

· Registered
602 Posts
Oh good ... sounds like you got her there on time ... always best to rebreed if she comes back on, most likely she wasn't bred and if she was she can't unbreed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.