The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got 5 registered boer does about 1 month ago and I got a registered boer buck about 2 weeks later and I have him with all 5 of them for this whole time and I don't know if be is breeding them... He never shows any signs of interest. How can I tell if he is breeding them? I would like to know because I want to be able to know when their due dates are so I can set up a waiting list thing on my website! So yeah any help needed!

· Read Only
201 Posts
There are a lot of things you can do:
get a marking harness for your buck and put it on him when he is in with the doe's
or
when you think your doe's are about 2 months along being prego you can "bump" them, which is you hold your doe and then push up right before he udder would start and see if it's hard or soft and if it's hard she is bred if its soft she is not bred
or
you can get her ultra sound at 35 days along
or you can try the pooch test, but I have a doe is bred and the pooch test says she would not be bred
here is the link to the pooch test http://www.happytailzfarm.com/pooch_test_2.htm

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Also take into consideration a goats estrous length can be anywhere from 17-24 days depending on where you looked up the information. If you only got the buck 2 weeks ago, and the does 4 weeks ago, it is also possible that some of the does have no come into heat while the buck has been with them.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I was trying to breed one of my does last year but every time I put her with the buck - even when she acted like she was in heat - she'd about climb the wall to get away from him. I couldn't even hold her long enough for him to finish. But lo and behold she kidded out last February, apparently she decided to cooperate during one of his jailbreaks :)

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
The breeding harness is a life saver and really not all that expensive....I think its like $3 for the chalk that lasts about 2 weeks and the harness I wanna say is $20 or so but you use it for years. You can get just the chalk and put a line down the does back and when the buck breeds will smear that mark. But if you keep checking those tails you should see messy tails. Before I got my breeding harness I went by messy tails and only 1 out of 50 at the time got past me.

1,556 Posts
We had a buck we sold because we never saw him going after any of the girls. We sold him and had babies two months after he left. He was such a good buck I wish we would have kept him now. He apparently was breeding when we weren't around.

· Banned
5,939 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a buck of mine actually breed a doe, but they usually start kidding a day or so after the 5 month mark. I've seen him chasing them around and tongue flapping at them, but not breed them. I quit worrying about it. :laugh:

1,556 Posts
My males now. There is NO QUESTION they are getting my girls. They chase and do the deed several times. All bucks are different. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.