The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has fed the goats the past 3 nights, yesterday I drove by the pen and I said "mickey looks sad", my dad was in the hospital and I had to go do his chores for him, when I went back by he was in the barn eating hay so I just figured he was mad at me for driving by.

I went to the barn this afternoon to check up on every one, mickey was laying down.. I went in the pen he got up. I noticed several things
1. he had lost a lot of weight
2. he was weak looking
3. he had scours.

I offered feed and he wasn't too interested in it but ate a couple bites, Tuesday he was 100% him self, and not near as skinny. Last I weighed him he was 70.. he is down atleast 10lbs. He does have a weird looking coat that might mean selenium defiant .

I just had a fecal 2 weeks ago- no cocci, a couple stomach worms, wormed with cydectin.

I moved him out of the pen , and now don't know what to do.
I thought fortified B vit complex, maybe nutridrench , electorlites, some pepto for his belly.... Any thing else ? Thanks for your help I am really scarred for my boy...

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Not an expert by any means, but what is his temp? Is he chewing his cud, If he doesn't have a temp, and not chewing his cud, I would give CD antitoxin or MOM (milk of magnesia) to bind the toxins in his gut. I would give him B Complex, probiotics, and some electrolytes. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime on her quickly.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Has be been tested for Johnes disease?

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has not been tested.

I will go take his temp, and he is still chewing cud.. How much probios I have the powder, do I drench it ?. What about nutria drench ?

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
Definitely get a temp. I would give him the B Complex. I have only used gel so don't know on the powder. If he isn't eating, I would mix in water and drench. Nutridrench won't hurt.

Watch very closely how he is walking and acting.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His temp is 98-99.. he kept moving so I couldn't get a good reading.

He was happy to see me and making noise, then got mad when he seen the meds coming, he fought me and tried to run away a few times.

The tub says 5g an adult goat- does that sound about right ? I will drench it. I think I will also give nutria drench bottle says 1 oz per 100lbs, 1oz=30ml. I think I will dose for 60 pounds, how many ml/cc... I am not the best a math.

He isn't moving around to much, I put him in the end of the barn away from every one, but he can hear them. It is warmer in there.

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
That is pretty low if it is accurate. But I wouldn't think he would be that fiesty.

I would follow instructions for the probios. Better to over calculate his weight than under in this instance.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What could be causing this ? Should I give him an antibiotic ?
I don't think he could have gotten into anything toxic because he has been in the same pen for a while now, and no one else is sick. It's not huge and mostly grazed down so there's nothing hiding in it that I haven't seen.
He did eat a lot of minerals on Tuesday, I had been out for a couple weeks.
His eye lids are a really good color.
Thanks for every one helping me! I really really appreciate it. I called my vets office and they said "I don't know what to tell you, you might try worming him". I would be so lost with out this site, thank you so much!

Just seen your post Karen, yeah I took it twice because I knew that was low. When I go
give him probios and nutri drench I will check it again. It's like he saved it up for right then, he layed down and rolled over while I was trying to do it.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave him B complex, and electors already, going to give probios and nutria drench now. I will re check his temp.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Kramsay is it possible that he could have gotten into a bunch of grain? The sudden onset of diarrhea, weight loss, and low temperature makes me think of acidosis.

·
Administrator
85,671 Posts
His rumen may be off, give the fortified Vit b complex shots,1x a day, do 6cc's and give probiotics made for ruminants. For 4 days or more if needed.
When their rumen is off, no grain should be fed. Off rumens can cause upset in the gut, which can cause scours, appetite decrease and low temp as well.

Do you hear or feel any gut sounds and movements on his left side?

It is weird, he is losing so much weight and doesn't have worms and cocci. So, I agree with testing for Johnes disease( wasting disease)
I hope it isn't. :(

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
if you find his temp is indeed that low..he needs to get warmed up...put him under a heat lamp, out of drafts...

Scours can bring them down fast,,,dehydration will shut the body down...so get him drinking...electrlytes is best since they offer lots of good stuff and taste good to encourage more intake...
B complex is helpful, pepto to dry the bum and sooth his belly, probios...

if his poop is dark brown to black could be worms, greeish tint is usually dietary...
if you can have a fecal done again, incluse cocci...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm confused. You said on Tuesday he was back to himself. Did he get worse again? Does he still have diarrhea? Is he eating? I've seen goats get an upset digestive system, scour and then be OK. If he's on the mend, you might not need to be doing anything. I always give pepto bismol at the first sign of scours. Often times that's all that is needed. You did the right things with parasites already. Fecal and wormed with cydectin etc. You can not kill one with probios.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I redone his temp 3 times. I got 100 each time.

He hasn't gotten into a lot of grain, my grain is locked up in a freezer, there is no way he got into it. I did give the whole herd a little grain as a treat on Tuesday, is was about 1/4 pound per goat, but he got butted out of the feeder before it was all gone so I wouldn't think he got that much at all.

I will take away grain asap.
I gave him 6cc of B complex, around 20oz of electrolytes, 5 grams of probios (mixed with water), and 20ml of nutri drench. I drenched the electroys the probios and the nutri drench.

I will go feel and listen for belly sounds, he is still chewing cud.
He is in a draft free barn with thick bedding.
The poop is not really dark, it kinda has a light green tent to it, but it isn't green or yellow.
Thanks again

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I heard belly noises.

I feed a round bale so they have access 24/7. He typically has his head in the hay, so he isn't getting kicked out of that. He is smaller then my herd queen, she is the one that kicked him out of the trough.

Yes he is in rut, he smells horrible lol. He has already bred all of my does though, I went ahead and let him stay with them through the winter.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
100 degrees temp for a goat is too low. You should probably trust the thermometer and try and get him warmed up? Drench with warm water and get a coat on him or heat lamp or something.
I got a heat lamp on him, and he is in a draft free barn with lots of bedding. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts