Help! CAE! :-(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by shedevil, Jun 21, 2010.

1. shedevil

shedevil New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi! I'm sorry that my first post here is such a needy one!..but I really need some advice and input.

We have two rescue goats that live with us - a mother and daughter. The daughter is a little over 2 years old, and both mother and daughter have lived with us since the kid was 24 hours old - we actually had to rescue them *from* the farm animal rescue where we were volunteering.

The kid has been diagnosed (by test) with CAE. We haven't tested the mother yet...we tested the kid because I noticed some intermittant stiffness in her hind legs. So far the mother seems fine - and the kid (well, the 2 year old) seems fine other than occasional rear leg stiffness.

There is no concern about transmission - there aren't any other goats for miles around - and these two are pets, brought to our home to live out their natural lives with humans who love them (unlike the human - and I use the term loosely - who abused the mom before the county seized her herd and rescued them).

So, really I'm looking for some advice, encouragement - anything that can help... are there things we can do to diminish the impact on the kid? Our vet said we could give her 1-3 baby aspirin if she seems particularly painful - and that glucosamine isn't very effective unless by injection. Are there other remedies or treatments we can try?

Also, am I correct in understanding that because she is already 2 years old and symptoms are only just manifesting now, that she is less likely to come down with the encephalitic symptoms (neuro system), and is most likely to have only the arthritic symptoms, which can run the gamut from mild to severe?

Thank you in advance for *any* information!

Annie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    basically at this point she will just show signs of the arthritic condition. Baby aspirin isnt going to be effective. She needs adult aspirin and I do believe she can have up to 6. I need to look it up again to be positive on that.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if baby has it i'd think momma has it too, since its generally passed thru milk. and like stacey said adult asprin, since its pretty much arthritis

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome, sorry it's under such sad terms but we do hope to be able to help out your girls.
    I'm glad that these two ladies will have a forever home and it really sounds like they have all the TLC they'd ever want :hug:
    I agree that she'll need the adult aspirin to help manage her stiffness, and if the daughter has it, she got it from her mom by nursing, CAE is more often passed through the milk to kids. As far as the neurologic issues, you are right, most times the 6 month old and younger babies tend to exhibit those signs, your girls mama may or may not ever show signs but seeing as how the 2 year old has arthritis, it may get progressively worse :hug:

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    My goat vet has one client's goats on carprofen...Rimadyl...for what he called "arthritis in their knees." We were discussing it for use in one of my bucks who had urinary calculi, so he didn't elaborate on the other client's situation.. I'm sure he was talking about CAE, though. I got the impression that it was one of those "Well, we can try this..." types of situation, as he said that the owner had reported that her goats seemed to be doing well on it...indicating that they didn't really know what would happen in advance.

They make generic carprofen these days, so it may be worth talking to your vet about.

Good luck.. Sorry this is happening to ya. :(

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Anne,

Welcome and I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this.

I know people that have have CAE goats, and they do fine but yes they go have knee an joint pain and it does get a lot worse as they get older.

I totally agree with the asprin. I gave it to my Liz before she passed. She had cancer.

Good luck, and it sounds like the lord put those two with a wonderful loving home. :hug:

7. shedevil

shedevil New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Thank you, *everyone*, for your words of encouragement, and sympathy. And the advice.

I really *really* appreciate it.

Annie