The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this to the other part of the forum but realized I was supposed to prob post it here now...tried to delete the post in the other forum but can't figure out how...

basically I think I need to know if I can give a very tiny 2 month old baby wormer again after I just did it 5 days ago. She has been battling coccidiosis..twice because of an outbreak here. I thought it was bloat but now I don't think so.

I gave her the purple wormer but today she is very run down and her gums are super white and her eyelids...her poop which had gotten better on the dimethox a few days ago is getting soft again today and I see lots of worms on her butt and some in the poop.

I'm worried the worms are immune now to the purple kind..the goats here have been on it for a year. I just bought quest horse gel wormer..but she is probably only 10 pounds.

jamee

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for your responses...I hope this doesn't go through twice..edited my reply and now it's gone.

The purple stuff is cydectin. I first gave her that then on the 6th day I gave her quest gel because I saw worms still and she was acting so bad. but then on the other thread I accidentally put this question on they said that because I saw worms on her bum she has tape worms so I need valbazen. what I used did not cover those. but that I should wait because she is so anemic.

Vet's assistant said never ever has she heard of using valbazen for goats..but I know that happens a lot... She suggested strongid? does anyone know if that is for tape worms though? I hate talking through the gal on the phone at the office who runs and asks the vets assistant questions..sometimes I feel like info gets lost in the translation.

I found valbazen at jeffers pet I think I'm going to order it. I have safeguard here and it says it's for tapeworms..but that is the one everyone said is not working. I do read though that to treat you are supposed to do 3 days in a row? and even other reg wormers they need it 12 days then 12 days later then 12 days later yet again for the worms life cycle. So perhaps that is why safeguard is not working for some?

I'm worried about finding the right balance between trying to get her healthy enough to handle all the worming meds yet fighting the worms that are makign her anemic. Got her some high protein pellets and red cell..posted on another thread to ask the dosage for those. She doesn't want a thing to do with the pellets though.

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and I am just going to add this here because when I try to edit I loose everythign..but I was just reading on tennesseegoats that safeguard while it doesn't kill stomach worms is DOES kill tape worm! is this true?

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I give it to her now even if I gave her the quest on Friday night and 6 days before that the cydectin? She had a LOT of worms come out in her poop today..still made berries but a lot of worms. and she's laying around a lot..I'm very worried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts