The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh No! She keeps putting her head through then fence wire, but her horns are big enough to keep her from getting her head out! Just took me ten minutes to extracate her. One of her horns is hanging on by a "wing and a prayer". It's bleeding but I think I've got it stopped. Should I take the horn off? Or leave it alone?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Going by the pic it looks really bad, though blurry it seems that theres alot of blood! Were you able to get the bleeding stopped? If it's just hanging there, I think I would take it the rest of the way off and do compression bandages for excessive bleeding ,obviously being on her head I know that could be difficult, but pressure to stop bleeding would be good.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh hi Liz, yeh, got the bleeding stopped, she's laying quietly on hubby's lap. Can't really get a bandage on it, but I got it cleaned up and some antibiotic ointment on it. I feel so bad...there I was pulling weeds in the garden when I realized I was hearing a goat crying Maaaa! Oh boy what a dummy.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I'd keep her close and make sure she continues to "be herself", it was probably more traumatic for her to get stuck than it was to rip the horn off. Just keep watch for infection and I'm glad she's comfortable and not bleeding anymore.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for being there! She's being really still, like she's totally used up all her strength. But, hubby thinks we should keep her inside and warm, she's breathing alright, heart rate is back to normal now, it was racing when I got her in here. So, I think we'll just watch her for now.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
She's going to act a little weak for a while if she lost a lot of blood, give her molasses water and a little nutri drench. Also give her a B shot, these are all for stress. It it continues to bleed, put a pressure bandage on it.

Do you have a pic of what the horn looks like? When she feels better you may have to cut it off if its just hanging there.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the vit b shot seemed to perk her up a bit. Took her back out to mom. I'll check on her again in a little while. But, seems she'll be ok till I can get her to the vet to remove the horn. What a night. Thanks all, I'll update in the A.M.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I actually just had this happen to one of my Boer kids while I was at a show. You do need to get the horn off if it is hanging, because otherwise it might kind of fester underneath. My doelings was so loose that it took just a quick pull to get it off. It didn't take her long to get over it and she was back to her normal self in no time. I'd just keep an eye on her, she'll be just fine.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Di said:
I remember someone else had the same problem recently...after I freaked out of course and got everybody in "crisis mode"! I'm such a wimp...I'll try to see if I can do that too. Thanks Bethany.
No wimp what so ever!

You should have seen me -- nevermind you wouldn't have, not a pretty site all distressed and all. But what i am trying to say is, it is normal to be like that

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stacey, I remember you had to untangle some kids before they could be born...right? Nothing wimpy about that! Not to mention tube feeding 3 babies! You are a rock!

Can you believe my hubby had to get that silly girl out of the fence again?! Dumb girl, stupid as can be!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yah but if you saw me on the gound sobbing because I couldn't get them to nurse you would understand that I know how it is to feel lost and not know what to do, and that is not wimpy that is normal.

Without my mom, Teresa and another lady Dona I would have lost the kids. We all need help sometimes and just little reminders of the things we already know during crisis times as we easily forget.

With the triplets (well two of the the trips) that were not doing well I totaly forgot nutri drench! that is always the FIRST thing I suggest to people but when it was my turn I totaly forgot :doh:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Don't worry Di, I totally freaked out when it happened to mine!! I was all but crying and boy did it ever scare me bad!!

It wouldn't hurt to do a tetanus booster, didn't do it for mine though and she was fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts