Help! Demi is peeing blood and has explosive poops

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SDK, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    So I got to the goats at 5. Demi was dehydrated and had explosive poops. I gave her electrolytes and 2 liters of water over 2 hours. I just checked her out and she still has the poops And is now peeing a koolaid red pee. Her temp is 102. I also gave har Terramycin. Any ideas as to what it could be?No blood in fecal. I think the poops may have burned her hooch and it's just bleeding a little. I'm rather concerned. You can txt me if you have ideas. (909)645-6341.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Try some pepto to help with the runs. You need to get those stopped or she is going to stay dehydrated. Is she really straining to pee? Small amounts of urine or large amounts?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I really dont know

stopping the diarrhea is important as you know so that would be my focus.

Did she get anythign odd to eat recently? I know beats can stain your pee for a couple days in humans.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    gave her a dose of terramycin, since we used to use that with out scouring calves, along with some pepto diluted in water.. so.. we'll see.

she was at fair for 5 days so she may have eaten something odd, but her urine wasn't red at the fair or yesterday... i'm trying to figure out if terramycin can color the urine.

shes eating normal, eyelids are bright pink, shes alert and active, playing like normal.temp is 102.

just really dehydrated.

she hasn't had access to alot of grain, just free alfalfa bermuda pellets and the alfalfa/rye hay.

i'm really worried.. demi is my baby!! i wouldn't be able to raise goats anymore if she died. i know.. dramatic.. but.. i've been nervous as all heck.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    since she is that special I would take her to a vet or have a vet come out

7. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    I agree, vet time. The dark urine really bothers me - this could be indicative of kidney failure.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How is she doing this morning???

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is it Blood color or just dark? you said she is dehydrated, that can make the pee look really dark almost red. Get the poop stopped like the others have said, use the Pepto. Yes it could be Kidney trouble,

Please let us know how she is dong.

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Take her to a vet as she is so young and not the time to guess what is wrong ...the dark urine is so not normal and her condition could go down hill very fast if you do not take the right action ... I feel all any of us can do is guess as to what is wrong but since she is so important to you get her help fast.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is she doing? :worried:

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I've tried Pepto a couple of times for scours, without much success, so I gave a 1/2 of an Imodium (generic), that was very successful. I've only had to give more than one dose, once when I gave my buck a 2nd dose. Hope she's feeling better. Did you call the vet?

13. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Di - you should never give Immodium to a ruminant, it can be deadly!

Hoping for a good update soon!

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not really sure about the odd colored pee. but gett her re hydrated is a big thing. even if you can get some watered down gatorade down her that would help. I have used that in a pinch.
    beth

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    well.. i wasn't about to call the emergency vet and become hundreds in debt.. so i waited till morning. she as perfectly fine in the morning. poop's stopped and the urine was normal. it wasn't dark urine.. just a light red-pink. no straining, no pain, no sensitivity at all. she was fine again today too

just.. clueless as to what the heck happened

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'm so glad she made it!
    wonder what the problem was...

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very odd -- well Iam glad she is doing better :)

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

glad to hear she is doing better. it could of been something as simple as she ate something that didnt agree with her.
    beth

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great news, thanks for the update. I have to agree with Beth. She ate something that did not agree with her. I am sure we all have had that happen.