The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe who I thought was bred and due to Kid between Sep 1st and 3rd did not Kid. So I thought maybe she didn't settle when I hand bred and she bred at a later date when she and the buck were together in the same pen. Yesterday I let her and another doe out to browse and of course the Buck got out. I went out to put them all back in their pens because he was trying to breed her. she looked considerably thinner. But I have noticed that she has appeared to be loosing weight. So again I thought she must not be bred. Have been watching and have not seen any of the signs that she would be close to kidding. Today she had blood on her rear, so I expressed some from her udder and it looks like colostrum. Her udder after I dried her off, has been the size of a tennis ball, so I haven't thought anything off it until today. I have walked the yards and pastures where they browse and have seen no signs that would indicate delivery of fetus. Please I need your thought on this. Do you think she may just be in heat and the blood is from that? OR is it possible that she was bred and has aborted a dead fetus?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
How much blood was on her? Are you sure there was no sign of delivery (blood, mucus, kids)? If you let them, does will clean up after themselves very well. You might have to look hard to find any signs. But Karen is right, it could be almost any of the reasons you gave.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would she have blood from being in heat and the buck trying to breed her? I did notice slime on her vulva yesterday and she does look swollen, but is a light pink in that area. None of the normal signs of kidding are present

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what she looked like Sept 11th

Attachments

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much blood was on her? Are you sure there was no sign of delivery (blood, mucus, kids)? If you let them, does will clean up after themselves very well. You might have to look hard to find any signs. But Karen is right, it could be almost any of the reasons you gave.
Not much just on the end of her tail and a little on her leg, small spot on the underside close to rectal area

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will try to get pictures tomorrow so you will have some to compare, sorry don't have a pic of her vulva showing, on or after September 11.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a picture of her last summer

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I had a doe abort very small cat sized babies I don't know how far along she was but she had enough blood and goo on her I would think she had a normal birth. It doesn't sound like that much blood with your girl. The buck might have been a little rough and she bled and mixed with semen so looks like more blood then just a tad. That would be my guess but just a guess since I didn't see the blood. I had a doe bleed a little while being bred and it almost looked like the string of the mucus plug. If I were to guess I would say she is still bred. Check out her ligs and maybe bump her and see if you can feel kids.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hey everyone thanks for trying to help... She aborted... more signs of it today. left side of udder is a little bigger, more blood, and breath that is usually sweet smelling, not so sweet. Here are some pics taken today so you can compare Sep 11 pic's. In the first pic she is not pushing, she is doing numbers 1 & 2. Vulva no longer swollen.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts