The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Oh gosh I am so sorry. Have you done this before? Have you watched a video?
Books make it sound like it is hohum easy but it is hard.
You have to use all of your strength both mentally and physically. Do you have a helper? It usually takes 2 of us.
I am so sorry I can't be more encouraging.

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
Ok slide in along the goats legs, picture what you are seeing as you go. You should feel the legs go up and then it should flow into the body. If your feeling any kind of gap where the legs doesn’t feel like it’s attached to the body then it needs to be pushed back in and find the correct legs. If all that feels good you have a few options because that means that baby is quite large. Try tying some hay string onto the legs. Pull and as you pull, pull down. You can also try pulling one leg and then the other but you have to pull down as you go. If you need extra pulling carefully grab the back of the babies yeah and pull.
The other option is going to be a vet for a C section.
Is there anyone you can call to come check things out? Another goat farmer or even a cattle rancher. Take deep breaths and close your eyes as your feeling.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long story short, we had the vet come and did a sea cection. We the two bucks were still alive after about three hours, and they are looking like the are going to make it. One has to be tube fed as it's tongue is swollen from the ordeal.
I'll beat I try to respond more fully at a another time. Thank you all!!!!

·
Administrator
91,278 Posts
Oh my, how terrifying. :eek:
You did the right thing by calling a vet.
By doing so you saved lives.

Remember next time, if no progress by 30-45 minutes at most, seeks a vet or wash up and go in and help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick question. I've been winging it on the amount of milk to feed the kids, how much would be recommended. I haven't weighed them and they are three days old and are very healthy eaters. Do I let them eat till they are full or limit them to three or four oz. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
Start with 10% of body weight then assess as mentioned how their tummy feel. Goal is flat but firm.

Good job!!
Best wishes

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
A guideline so that would be, 10, 15 or 20% of body weight! A lot suggest to start off on the smaller end (10%) so not to overfeed! So once you get a weight go to the % your comfortable with and divide the number given into however many feedings per day! Say the goat weighs 5#s and want to do 10% that's 8, 8 divided by 4 feedings is 2 ounces per feeding!

I hope that makes sense I'm not the best at explaining things

Sent from my SM-A326U using Goat Forum mobile app

1 - 20 of 77 Posts