Help disbudded doe bleeding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rkalgren, May 5, 2009.

1. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Our babies got dehorned today. They were fine until one started to rub on things and started to bleed prettr bad. We got it stopped but what can I do to keep her from scratching.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Put a bonnet over it - :ROFL: :ROFL:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How old are they?

Sorry I do not know about how to help them because I do not dehorn. What about Blood Stop? Corn Starch?

4. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Funny to imagine, but not very helpful.

5. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    We got the bleeding stopped, my worry is that she will just rub it raw again.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give some asprin so she will feel more comfortable. That should keep her from rubbing it

7. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Thank-you. How much should we give.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If she was bleeding that bad she probably was not burned long enough.

If she bleeds really bad again you will need to wrap her head with gauze and vet wrap.

9. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I agree with this- ours always scratch their heads afterwards but never to the point of bleeding. It usually just smears the blue kote everywhere and makes me :veryangry:

10. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Just a contrasting opinion - I wouldn't give aspirin - it's a blood thinner and might slow clotting if she pops it open again.

My three kids have all popped theirs open at one time or another & had a little blood. This was well after the disbudding, though. The caps are prone to catching if they stick their head through cattle panel fencing.

I wonder if you could just cauterize it where it is bleeding?

11. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    I don't have an iron. I had someone else do them for me.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's up to you, but if it were me I'd bring her back and get her touched up. It's better to do it now rather than later.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Bob,

I know it sounds corney - but I was serious about a bonnet thing - that way they are not rubbing directly onto the horn buds

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the asprin makes them feel better so they dont have the head ach which was causing her to scratch at her head

You dont give enough to cause problems with cloting. I give 1 tablet of 81mg (children's asprin)

Now if you have banamine that works too - it is liquid asprin

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bob, I had just one disbudded this year and she did that very same thing, No matter what I did she kept scratching at the one side...I was able to get the bleeding to a minimum with a gauze pad and pressure. Holding her and loving on her helped as well, I did dab iodine on the area and she healed and scabbed over within 2 days, no more bleeding and I am happy to say that her caps came off and she now has hair growing in.....and her head is smooth, no sign of a scur yet and it's been 5 1/2 weeks since the burning. I'd like to think that the pressure on her head as well as being able to sleep in my lap helped her heal.

I hope your little one is fine now....she will stop scratching at it.

16. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    She is doing fine for now. We just closed them in for the night. I did give her a baby asprin and had her head wrapped in guaze and vet wrap, until we put them to bed then I took it off.