The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at work ... my daughter is at home tending to the goats .... she called and said Charlotte is bleeding .... Charlotte is not pregnant that we know of and has not developed an udder.... why would this happen?? Picture attached ... I am so worried about her !!!!
IMG_3201.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anything I need to do for her to stop her from aborting the rest of there are more ? What could have caused this ... she is a spoiled little goat so .... couldn’t be stress

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I’m so sorry :(
It’s hard to tell if it could have been prevented or not. One could write a book on EVERYTHING a goat could abort over, from everything to lack of a certain mineral, maybe even too much of one, ate something she souldnt have, abortion diseases, stress, trauma (got butted) and then just flat out fluke. So as hard as it is to do, I wouldn’t stress about it. Give her loves and I would just chalk it up to crap happens. If you start having others abort then I would start digging. If you absolutely must try to find a answer you could send in for a necropsy but I honestly wouldn’t right now

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok now she has a full udder .... idk what to think !! Could that one have been just underdeveloped? Could she still have one in there that needs to come out and is healthy??

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
No way to tell, except maybe ultrasound.
However, she may have just formed an udder because she did give birth, even though it was underdeveloped and dead, and her body is still triggered to produce milk in response.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a doe do this this year. She aborted one baby. I kept and eye on she was fine afterward but she made an udder and it never really went down. About a month later, she kidded triplets. I'm still not sure why she aborted the one, might have been that there just wasn't room for quads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts