Help! Doe losing hair on topline rapidly!

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by amohr1188, Jul 30, 2020.

1. amohr1188

amohr1188 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Ok, I have a ND doe that kidded almost 2 months ago and about a week ago I noticed she had rubbed some hair off her spine down to the skin. Now today, I went out to feed and she looks like she’s turning i to a Chinese Crested! I can’t see any mites or lice. She’s in a lot with another doe and 3 kids. But she’s the only one with hair loss. They were just gave their CDT about 2 weeks ago and copper bolused about a month and a half ago. They have free choice hay and sweetlix meatmaker out 24/7. I thought I might need to does with Ivermectin injectable but I’ve nvr used the injectable before and also don’t want to give anything until i get some more eyes on the issue. TIA

IMG_6111.jpg

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Hmmm.. some does so experience hormonal hair loss around kidding but she's already 8 weeks into lactation.

Does the skin appear crusty at all in the balding areas? Any balding at the base of the ears or the back of the foot? Have you seen her chewing at her fur or feet? These would indicate mites which can't be seen with the naked eye.

Zinc deficiency is also another option.

I would probably go ahead and buy human zinc pills, I'll try to find the thread with dosing here, and begin giving daily and simultaneously dose with ivermectin injectable at 1cc per 100lbs subq and repeat in ten days.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It’s usually a zinc issue. You can do half a 50mg human zinc pill and then another in a month. However a real powerhouse is TruCare4.

amohr1188 and toth boer goats like this.
  4. amohr1188

amohr1188 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I got a pic in the daylight today. But i think it’s zinc as well. It’s like she just is going bald, no crusties and no anything but clean skin‍♀️ She doesn’t seem to scratch anymore than usual. i got some zinc today. Do i drench her with half the pill crushed up in water? Don’t mind the algae water, the rain water from the roof seems to turn it green within a few days. No matter what Idk what to do about that, since the location of the trough is the closest to the water hose...

View attachment 186055
    View attachment 186057

5. I have a couple of does that experience this every winter - have been mite treated with ivermectin - zinc - COWP - extra sunflower seed in the grain for the oil. Not all at the same time but with trial and error I guess I would call it. Last thing tried was Ultraboss that the vet recommended I try -I do not want to do ivermectin shots again. Said it was safe for dairy - no withdrawl and have not seen any side effects. Anyway both the girls look great after one application about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully this will be the answer for them.

amohr1188 likes this.
  6. amohr1188

amohr1188 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Ok, thank you! I have Cylence already, is Ultraboss like Cylence? They all get a handful of BOSS daily. The girls have a pretty high-alfalfa diet if that makes a difference. Their feed is alfalfa based and they get alfalfa timothy pellets daily too. She’s the only one with any issues...

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Ultraboss does not treat mites, only lice - and personally I’ve never had success with it for that, either!!

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    High alfalfa causes zinc issues quite often.

Try offering some TruCare4 or half a 50mg human zinc pill.