Help!!! Doe missing hair!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heathersboers, Sep 27, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    My doe Cutie Pie had a spot on the top of her head last weekend that was about the size of quarter- It has grown to about the size of my fist, with no hair-It is black and stinks- She is laying around- I cleaned it and put some neosporin on it- I thought it was a horse fly bite or she rubbed it on a board at first, but it got larger- Can anyone help me figure out what happened or how to fix it?? Thanks everyone!!

2. Candy

Candy New Member

Sounds like some sort of infection, maybe staph, because of the smell. Is she running a temp? Have you cleaned the the area well so that you can see it?
    Candy

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    her temp is normal- and i cleaned it well-It is just a large dark spot with no hair-You can tell it is hurting her- I have no idea what it is??!!-It has never happened on any of our goats before.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Does it smell really bad? Did it bleed at all when you cleaned it? Is it kitty? weepy?

Is it possible to take a picture of it?

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I will take a pic tomorrow and post it-It is not bleeding nor has any pus-it smells like something "dead"- It just looks like a 5 inch "turtle shell" and hard like it too.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it smells like something dead it could be gangrene. Do you need to get lose to it or can you smell it from a ways away? That fact that it didn't bleed when you cleaned it also makes me suspicious. I would keep a close eye on her. How is her temp now? She is disbudded right?

Just my thoughts... if anyone else has any that would be great. I haven't dealt with a thing like this before.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old is she? was she disbudded -- I assume not due to you raising boers.

what comes to mind is a spider bite. I got bitten by a brown recluse and it didnt heal for months. Around the same time my goat got a weird patch on her rear and it got worse and worse and looked a lot like my spider bite. I assumed she got bitten by the same spider.
    Brown recluse spider bites are nasty, smell and the flesh around the wound just dies and gets all "mealy" and nasty. i thankfully healed from mine while others never do

8. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Her temp is still fine and she is up more today eating better-My husband gave her a shot of thiamin and B-12-she acted like she had that goat polio-moving her head side to side. we also doctored it with lidocaine and neosporin- You can smell it from about 2 feet away. She is not disbudded. thanks y'all

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Update--- she is still laying around- the vet said that we have to pull the scab and clean it well or it will never heal--EEEEWWWW!!! I dread it!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    oh man ...what a bummer.......................... :shocked: