The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe who is not feeling good today! Here's some details about the situation.

-She is not very interested in her grain and hay (I was able to get her to eat a little bit of alfalfa hay, pine needles, willow leaves, and ash tree leaves. But I know she didn't eat a lot. She does still like BOSS and molasses flavored horse treats, I know she can't live on those alone and she only got a bit of each).

-I have not seen her drink today so I made some electrolyte water and was able to some of that in her.

-She still has normal berry shaped poop and I saw her pee once today (usually I see her go multiple times a day though), but it was more yellow than normal (I'm guessing because she is not drinking).

-I have not seen her chew her cud today.

-She is "star-gazing" and is walking a bit worse than this morning.

-She had a little bit of yellowish-greenish goop in the corner of her eye this morning, but it has not come back. Also she had a little bit of clear watery discharge on her nose.

-I haven't checked her temp yet, but will do that soon (currently getting a thermometer).

I think she might have Polio or Listeriosis, but I'm not sure. I have never dealt with anything like this before!

I have Penicillin, Probios gel, Tylan-50, and High Level Vitamin B Complex on hand. Please tell me what I should do and what to give her!

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She also COULD be 3 months pregnant, but kind of doubt it. And she has been standing a lot today.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,633 Posts
Go ahead and treat for polio and listeria, even if her temp is normal. Here's the treatment from tennesee meat goats:

TREATMENT involves administration of double the normal dosage of procaine penicillin (300,000 International Units) every six hours on a 24-hour cycle. Ten cc's per 100 lbs bodyweight of procaine penicillin is needed to cross the blood- brain barrier to maintain sufficiently high levels of penicillin in the blood stream to kill the bacteria. I give procaine penicillin SQ over the ribs with an 18 gauge needle and I don't give more than 6 cc per injection site. I also give Vitamin B 1 (Thiamine) injections, dosing at 4 cc per 100 pounds liveweight for 100 mg/ml thiamine given IM or SQ every 6 hours. The only injectable over-the-counter product with required 100 mg/ml of thiamine is Fortified Vitamin B Complex. Prescription thiamine (Vitamin B1) is available only from a vet. Injections get the medications into the blood stream faster, and quick treatment is critical with this disease. Thiamine is an appropriate addition to treatment of any sick goat. It is critical to keep to this 24-hour cycle of medicating the goat.

Very Important: Continue procaine penicillin and thiamine injections for 24 hours AFTER the last symptom has disappeared to avoid a relapse.

Here's the link for more info:
https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Probios would be a good idea too.

Listeria and polio are a lot of work to treat, best of luck too you! I hope she gets better soon!

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
I agree..treat for polio/listeriosis. We do
Penicillin 1 cc per 10 pounds sub q every 6 hours.
500 mg thiamine every 6 hours (see what your b complex has and give enough to reach 500 mg thiamine. So if it has 100 mg thiamine, give 5 cc
Banamine 1 cc per 100 pounds sub q once daily OR dexamethsone 1 cc per 20 pounds IM decreasing dose by 1/4-1/2 cc daily over a weeks time.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anybody know how long it takes them to recover from Polio and Listeria? Also, we had to get the Probios for horses because they were out of the one for cattle. Is the dose different? And should I give it now?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tilly (the doe) has a 10 month old doeling that still nurses once in a while, do I have to worry about her passing anything to her doeling?

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
Time for recovery depends on case by case. Polio recovery is much faster than Listeriosis. listeriosis can be contagious, depending on the cause. Also can be passed to humans. Please take care when handling her, gloves and such, and I would ween and separate baby. 10 months old, she will be fine. Just as a precaution.

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
If the doeling isn't showing symptoms then it is probably polio since listeria is passed by the milk. Still treat her for both since you started.
Now, do NOT suddenly cut off the vitamin b if she starts acting more normal. Cutting it off too quickly can cause an incurable backslide. Make sure to @ goathiker or happybleats without the space before cutting back.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys for all the tips and suggestions! I will definitely still continue to treat her for both just to be sure! And since I don't have the space to separate her doeling (and they would both really hate it anyways), I just taped Tilly's teats as an extra precaution and to make sure she continues to dry up (she is already pretty dry, but Lucy still tries). Lucy is 100% normal so probably polio like you said. We just got back in from giving Tilly her second round of shots and I'm happy to say that she is doing better than yesterday! Last night her back was sooo hunched, but now it's a lot better! I can tell her eyes are still kind of crazy, but hope that goes away soon as well! I just can not believe how fast Polio and Listeria can progress! Yesterday morning Tilly seemed almost 100% normal (just a little off) so I wasn't very panicked then, as the day went on I kept a very close eye on her and she just kept on getting worse and worse, that's when I decided to sign up. And I'm so glad that I did because all you guys are awesome! I have been a "long-time-lurker" of 4 years and have had goats for 3 1/2. This is definitely my first real goat problem and I'm so glad you guys are all super helpful! I hope she continues to recover and I will keep you updated on the situation!

Does Penicillin sting? The first time we gave it to Tilly she started rolling on the ground and screaming!!! The second time was much better though. The only things that were different was the fist time I used my last 18G needle and rubbed the injection site afterwords (like I do whenever I give them injections). The second time I used a 20G needle and didn't rub it. I could tell that it was still more uncomfortable than the Thiamine, but there was no rolling around or screaming. Have you ever had them do that after giving Penicillin?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The pen g stings a bit less if you let it warm a bit. You have a few minutes you can well. I actually pull it and stick the syringe in my armpit while I'm pulling other meds and walking to the barn lol. Whatever.
Got it, thanks! Oh the things we do for our goats!!🤣

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys for all the tips and suggestions! I will definitely still continue to treat her for both just to be sure! And since I don't have the space to separate her doeling (and they would both really hate it anyways), I just taped Tilly's teats as an extra precaution and to make sure she continues to dry up (she is already pretty dry, but Lucy still tries). Lucy is 100% normal so probably polio like you said. We just got back in from giving Tilly her second round of shots and I'm happy to say that she is doing better than yesterday! Last night her back was sooo hunched, but now it's a lot better! I can tell her eyes are still kind of crazy, but hope that goes away soon as well! I just can not believe how fast Polio and Listeria can progress! Yesterday morning Tilly seemed almost 100% normal (just a little off) so I wasn't very panicked then, as the day went on I kept a very close eye on her and she just kept on getting worse and worse, that's when I decided to sign up. And I'm so glad that I did because all you guys are awesome! I have been a "long-time-lurker" of 4 years and have had goats for 3 1/2. This is definitely my first real goat problem and I'm so glad you guys are all super helpful! I hope she continues to recover and I will keep you updated on the situation!

Does Penicillin sting? The first time we gave it to Tilly she started rolling on the ground and screaming!!! The second time was much better though. The only things that were different was the fist time I used my last 18G needle and rubbed the injection site afterwords (like I do whenever I give them injections). The second time I used a 20G needle and didn't rub it. I could tell that it was still more uncomfortable than the Thiamine, but there was no rolling around or screaming. Have you ever had them do that after giving Penicillin?

Thanks again!
Yes, she is doing much better today! Here's what I posted easier today in case you missed it. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts