HELP - Doe with a damaged udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Fainters, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I noticed yesterday that one of my does had a lopsided udder so I examined her and the one side was very swollen, hot to the touch and very hard feeling. My first thought was mastitis but I have never seen it so I called my friend who has worked on a dairy farm to come over and check her. We do not think she has mastitis yet. We do think that she either got stepped on or horned in the udder because there was a big bloody scrape on it. We milked out what we could and started her on penicillin. I also gave her some baby aspirin. Her milk is still good and doesn't have any blood or clumps in it. I gave it to the barn cats and they ate it. This morning I did the same thing and turned her out. Her kids will nurse on the good side but won't touch the hard side. Is there anything else that I should be doing to keep it from turning into mastitis? It takes a long time to milk it out enough that it isn't hard and I thought there is a device that you can insert into the udder to drain the milk out fast but don't know what it is called.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is her udder red at all? If its hot and hard that tells me mastitis, although it could be getting gangrenous because of the scrape on her udder. If she has mastitis in the one side, keep it milked out(milk her twice a day or more) and feed the milk back to her. I know that some people don't agree with that but feeding does with mastitis back their own milk will help with the mastitis. If they don't drink it, I usually give them a couple syringes orally.

Give her vitamin C, about 3000-4000mg twice a day, if you have powder you can put it in water in a syringe and drench her with it, or you can crush the tablets up.

If it is going to turn into gangrene, I'm sorry but I honestly do not know which antibiotics to recommend. Sorry, but I would keep her on pen.

Good luck.

3. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    Her udder looked red last night because it was swollen. This morning the redness was almost gone. The hard spot is only in her nipple and right above where the scrape is. The scraped part is about the size of a penny and has been bleeding. The rest of her udder is still soft and I was hoping that by catching this immediately that I could keep her from getting mastitis. I also put salve on the scrape last night to try and get it to start healing. I will give her vitamin C this afternoon.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh good, I thought it was hard all over. If it is in her teat, it could be a blocked teat duct(it happens sometimes when they don't get milked out enough) Keep milking her out to take care of that. The hard part by the scrape might be scar tissue starting to form.

Vitamin C will help fight infection along with the pen.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    If you are sure that it was a bruise or it might be mastitis, I would be massaging the hard spot gently but firmly to keep the tissue loose. A calcification could form after a bruise that could close off some of the udder or ducts. If it's mastitis, that needs to be done to get the ducts open and cleared out.
    The only concern would be not treating if it is mastits.