Help: doe with cough

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by laststraw, Nov 30, 2008.

1. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    One of our does has been coughing since we got her back from the breeder last month. She is a 14 month old Nigerian Dwarf, about 65 lbs, no discharge with cough. We wormed her with pour on Invermectin about 3 weeks ago (Nov 10). Should we treat her with antibiotics?

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Couls she have lung worm? Does your wormer treat for that? I would wait on antibiotics till you know a little more.

3. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    We used the Invermectin in case it was lungworm - we usually use a herbal wormer, but it contains wormwood and should not be used on pregnant does. We're going out to check eyelids right now.

4. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    eyelids are good and pink - healthy looking against the chart

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you de-worm her again 10 days later ?
    The coughing will not stop right away... there may be scarring or irritation..
    depending on how long she had them.....

It could also be allergies...is it real dry there? If so ... :) she will improve after it rains...
    you can try an antihistimine...that will help if it don't rain soon....

6. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    We didn't do a second dose, but have been checking lids and they look good. It has been dry, but we got some good rain over Thanksgiving and it's still damp today. Should I dose her again at 21 days from the first dose even if her lids are good and pink?

I guess I'm suspicious since it began as soon as we got her back from the breeder (and she went first, so had to spend an extra week out with the herd on the breeder's ranch while waiting for our other doe to go). I suppose it could just be a cold, but no discharge - just a dry cough.

I'm worried about pneumonia with the weather getting colder...

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would check for a temp. Normal is between 101-104 (Our goats normal is about 102-103).

Some of our goats right now have a cough - it worries me but there is no temp and no runny noses. I still have to try treating them with Ivomec for lungworms but I really don't think it is that.
    It could be hay (if it's too dusty).

I'm not positive on this but if you try putting some VetRx in her nose or Vicks on her nose, that might help a little. Not positive that it does much for coughs but you could try, it certainly can't hurt.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe the breeders place was dusty or they were fed dusty feed there....(allergies)
    since it rained is she still coughing as much or has it lessened?

If you think it is lung worms then I would treat her again.....

I would definitely take her temp...if she has a temp then she may have pneumonia...if not allergies or lungworms... :hug:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off pour on will not get internal parasites. You need to give injectable or orally.

how often does she cough? is it as she eats or after running?

Is your hay dusty? how long was she at the breeders?

VetRx in the nose can help relieve symtoms and that is all you can do if it is a cold anyway. Probios and some Nutri Drench also are good for building up their systems.

10. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    It seems to be mostly when she gets up or when she runs (exercise induced). It is not all of the time - we actually thought she was over it for a couple of days within the last three weeks.

Our hay is a bit dusty and we're about out - going to the feed store tomorrow and will get supplies as well as hay. I'm out of probios and haven't used NutriDrench before, but I know a lot of people on here swear by it so I'll try it.

She was at the breeders for about 12 days total: three in the buck pen and nine with other does.

I really do not think it's worms as she has no other signs (lids are good and pink) and she gets an herbal wormer on a regular basis. I need to get a temp on her, but the winds kicked up fierce and we were working on the shelter this morning. I'll check her this evening when I go back out.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a cold. And if the weather has been chilly I have known that to cause a cough in my goats after they run to greet me (kind of like they are out of breath cough)

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but do goats with lungworms cough after running or exercising? I thought that was it but I'm not sure. :shrug:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they do have lung worms and do cough when running ........how do you treat them dosage and how many days ect to rid them..? Just curious one of my friends goats are doing that....after running......