The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered last night that my doe Lily, who had triplets (two bucklings and a doeling) on Memorial Day, has mastitis. I haven't milked her throughout her lactation this year as she was a bit on the thin side just keeping up with the triplets. Anyway, I started weaning the two boys off her this past week and last night I noticed her udder looked a bit full, so I thought I maybe should milk her out a little. I found her udder was a bit on the firm side and I couldn't hardly get any milk out.

At this point I was thinking congested udder... so I massaged her and used warm wet compresses with a little peppermint in the water. When I had time, I came in and starting looking on the internet for any kind of treatment for that when it was mentioned that mastitis can cause a congested udder. So I took my CMT kit out and tested her and sure enough she has it! Just to be sure I did it right I also used the Dr. Naylor test and yes, it turned green.

So I called my vet this morning and he told me to come pick up meds (PenOne Pro and Pirsue) for her. I am one of those people that would rather get beat than to give shots due to a very bad experience many years ago. But I will give them to her once I figure out the best way to immobilize her. That isn't my entire problem however... I have the two bucklings in a separate pen.. they told me the doeling will have to be taken off her too. I don't know what to do with her as I don't have the means right now to build another pen and shelter, especially since it's trying to rain and supposed to rain the next 5 days or so!

I thought I read on here somewhere that you can tape up their teats? Would this work in my situation? (Sorry for such a long post!) Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Are both sides affected?
Before you infuse any meds into her teat, you will need to try and get some of the milk out of her, putting her on a stand would be best as she will be restrained but you will need to use the hot compresses and massage to break up the infection and try and get things to move out. It will seem very hard to do.... believe me it can be done, when my doe had mastitis it was just one side and the bloody clot that did come out was the size of a chicken liver and looked that way too.
Wipe her teat with an alcohol pad, infuse the entire tube of the med and tape her teats well with a breathable cloth athletic tape... you may even need to use duct tape if her doeling is persistant, I had to do this as my doe had 5 week old twins on her and thankfully it was just one side.
Leave the med in her udder for 12 hours, milk and massage til there is softening, get as much out as you can and repeat the infusion... do this every 12 hours for 3 doses, after the final dose and 10-12 hours later, milk her out and massage with using the compresses... keep her teats taped if you want to wean the doeling but you will still need to milk her out as frequently as you can in the days after the last treatment.
I used ToDay with my doe as well as massage with bag balm mixed with a bit of peppermint oil and the hot compresses. She's clean and freshened this year with triplets and no sign of mastitis.

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to get some milk out of her... I didn't try it this morning but did feel her udder and it felt a little softer, probably from the nursing doeling. I also let the bucklings nurse some on her as I thought it would help last night.

The instructions I got from the vet was to infuse a quarter tube of Pirsue into each half for two days. There is 4 doses in the tube. I bought the disposable tips so I won't have to dirty the tube.

I would rather do it like you are saying but this is what he gave me for it. I do'nt have any ToDay. They don't carry it around here.. has to be ordered. But I will milk and massage her before I infuse and tomorrow when I do it again.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
It really is better if you can milk her out before infusing the meds. Glad you noticed and are taking care of it.

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used hot water with a few drops of peppermint in it to hopefully help and then milked her out best I could before infusing and massaged, massaged, massaged!! I don't know if I did it good enough but I sure tried... and of course all this is in the middle of a thunderstorm.

I also managed to give her the shot without killing either one of us.. she actually did really well! I had my husband snub her so she wouldn't jump around on me and she didn't even try to move! I was very proud of her! She got raisins for a treat and leaves of course.

Now should I give her probiotics tonight?

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darn! I wish I'd thought of the vitamin C while we were in town today! I will try to get some tomorrow. I remember reading something about C and mastitis last night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts