The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my doeling born yesterday started crying over the baby monitor. Mommas trying to get her moving but her back legs seem to have stopped working ... what to do

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Was she moving before? Is she with any other goats who may have stepped on her, or roughed her up? Has her dam been pawing at her? Did she (doeling) show any signs of distress or trouble before the crying? What is her temp? Has she eaten?

I'm afraid we need a little more information about the doeling, the relationship with her dam, her living conditions, her general health, etc. than what is given here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SORry ... she was walking before ... now just staying up and still and crying every once in a while. She has been on mom very little at a time. Tried to give her some of mom but won’t suckle on the bottle. Goes to mom and Nudges to suckle but then doesn’t .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only have her and mom together and mom has been great with her and very attentive... but seems to be getting less attentive as we go

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yes, that is common. When the kid doesn't do what is needed to live, wild does do move on, as they must. And the kid will grow weaker and stop moving.

So, no pawing, no butting, but also less and less feeding? Or is it no feeding whatsoever?
Any peeing or pooping at all? Did the kid receive any selenium at birth? If not, try selenium first, oral Bo-Se is fine, you don't have to give a newborn a shot. Selenium deficiency can cause weak to nonexistent suckling.

I'd also give probiotics (Probios is my preference, but there are many others like FLAT dark beer, active culture yoghurt, Jumpstart, etc. I'd give oral B-Complex also.

After you give Selenium, B-Complex, and Probiotics, I'd start syringing some mother's milk into the kid. Stretch the head and neck forward and slightly upward to allow swallowing. If you simply push the head and neck upward, that will direct fluids into the kid's lungs, not the stomach.

If you have Replamin Gel, that has good amounts of Selenium, and Probiotics in it. It is a very good all around vitamin/mineral complex to have at hand with excellent ingredients. Put a pea sized dollop on your finger and put it in the newborn's mouth. If you don't have the Replamin or the Bo-Se, Selenium gel will also help. Again, with the pea sized dollop on the finger into the mouth.

I killed a kid, slowly, agonizingly, by using the dispenser rather than my finger. She aspirated it into her lungs and there was nothing I could do. This is why I stress the dollop-on-the-finger-into-the-mouth method, so that no one will copy my mistake. The kid, already weak, cannot cough up the gel from the lungs.

This is my best advice, unless there has been no elimination (peeing and pooping). If there has been no elimination, your problem is elsewhere

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you ... she has gone pee and poop . I gave her selenium/ e paste, B complex and jump start. Been trying little by little to get her to eat. Thank you for your help it’s been a long night

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Sorry, I fell asleep.
What is her temp? If it isn't at least, at LEAST 100 she can't digest her food and it will rot inside her and kill her. If she won't eat don't force it on her, because there is the danger she has succumbed to Enteritis. Has her dam had a CD&T injection?
Keep giving her the probiotics, and occasionally dribble the milk in her mouth.

Poor thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her temp is above 100 and mom has been vaccinated thank you so much . The vet said he will come when he can

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
This must be so very scary for you, and the kid can't tell you what is wrong. I'm sorry. Are you able to get any milk down yet?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the vet came we took her temp again it was 102. Tried to get her to drink but ended up tubing her. She is resting along with mom. We milked mom out to try and bottle feed later. Thank you crossing fingers

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Forgot to say, as long as you can get enough milk from mom to feed the doeling, only give mom's milk. Once other milk starts flowing into her system, she won't smell "right" and mom will probably reject her completely. There is a benefit to the doeling to still be "mothered" and taught by a goat mom, even if she never nurses.

Of course, if you can't get enough mom milk, then you must supplement other milk, from a different doe, or whole milk from the grocery store. So be it.

Hang in there. You've done awesome.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts