The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!! I have a doeling with hypothermia. She had cocci and today was the last day of her treatment. I went out and she was down. She is now in my bathroom. Her temp. is 97.3!!!!! She is about 6/7months old.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She needs to be warmed up ASAP. Make a tent with towels and warm her up with the blow dryer. Or start a warm bath, put her in a plastic bag with her head sticking out, and warm her up with the water. Hot towels out of the dryer, etc.
Poor girl :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just talk to that. She said that she was too anemic. I'm going to take her an hour and a half to a vet that can do a blood transfusion.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
You need to warm her up before you take her to the vet. Goats can loose temp FAST. If they get too cold their rumen will shut down. Do you hear any rumen movments? Has she pooped?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
IMO, she is not to anemic to get her warmed up, if you don't warm her up she will begin to shut down. You can put her on a heating pad, or put her in a plastic bag (with her head out) and into warm water. She needs to get warm first, before anything else. Prayers sent!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... Not taking her to the vet. Her temp is up to 100.7-100.9. She is hugging the heater. She is constipated. What can i do about that?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Might need to do an enema... Good job getting her warmed up :) but, keep getting her temp up. No food till her temp is normal. Then offer hay and leaves only.. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Do an enema.. Don't want her to get plugged up. I believe it is a little dish soap, water, and oil.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
You can use cooking oil and warm water...a syringe to put in it..message her tummy after each dose...it can take 30-40 minutes to get things moveing..once sheis pooping the oil left inher will keep things moving along...as stated..no feed until she is well..alfalfa and hay and green leaves are fine..

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yay glad you posted Cathy. I knew the enema was something like that.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
looks like tape worm...Use
valbazen 1 cc per 10# 3 days in a row..wth a heavy load it might take a few rounds to get her all cleared up

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/tapeworms.html

keep her hydrated..on hay alfalfa and green leaves...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts