help! does in heat?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by kellygoat, Oct 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kellygoat

kellygoat New Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I have 2 Nigerian dwarf girls about 8 months old. One has always been very loud, but today it's unbearable. She's been screaming since 6am and just won't stop. I've noticed some discharge and lots of tail wagging/ flagging in both of them, so I'm guessing they're in heat. She mounts the other doe, but she's always done that.
    Any tips on how to shut her up? My neighbors almost killed me when I weaned her off the bottle, and now this!
    I was told I shouldn't breed them for at least a year. Actually the vet said I shouldn't breed them at all, because they're small and could have complicated births.
    At this point I just want to stop the deafening noise!

2. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Oh dear. Sometimes they just have loud heats ... how tall are they?

3. KarmakeeFarm

KarmakeeFarm New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Do you live in the country? My neighbors who rent-complained they could hear my rooster at 5 am-i told them thats when he woke up cause thats when I go into the barn-duh-that why i live in the country I told her-she never complains when i bring her extra eggs.........

4. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    Hopefully they quiet down soon for you!! Good luck!!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Aww, I have a few neighbors like that as well. Oh well that is what life is about. my neighbor called the police on me because my bucks stink. The police told me they could not believe they really got that call, and they tried to say I can not have them in the area because of some rule saying we can not have livestock, again the poliece told them that we are in the country, and that is why people move out here, so they can have livestock, they told him if they REALLY did not like it maybe they should move back to the city :D

she will quite down, just make sure she has hay to try to keep her occupied.

6. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Those sound like awesome policemen.

7. goatslave

goatslave New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Heats last 1-3 days so it should be over soon.

8. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Wrapped around a hoof!

Mar 19, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I feel for ya!

I had a Nubian/Nigerian that was loud on a normal day and would scare someone if they didn't know what it was.. Then add in a heat cycle and it was 50x worse! No one here cares if an animal is mooing, baaaahing, or in the case of my Nubian SCREAMING like a dying bigfoot, but I tell you it sure bothered me! I would swear she was going on the BBQ every month.

So good luck with the neighbors, if you live out in the country let em know that is what it's for and to hush.. Now if your a city person with a couple goats you might want to find something to occupy those gals for a couple days!

And your vet telling you that your gals are too small to breed? How big are they? I know my bottle babies are a little behind the curve currently and have not caught up yet to the dam raised kids, but I've seen what was small for a long time turn into a perfect sized doe later in life from what breeders have shown me. Give them some time they are still babies!

Good luck.