The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, before you post, please, I kindly ask you that you make sure your answer is correct. Links would be helpful.

I am currently in Alaska, and we are looking to move to Oregon in August.
I want to bring 4 of my 5 goats with me...
We are planning to drive thru Canada...
I am getting VERY conflicting information here...
I found this: http://dec.alaska.gov/eh/docs/vet/Pets/SheepGoatImportCanada2011.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, I SHOULD be able to bring my babies with me.
But when I called the people at the border (Alaska/Canada border) I was told that I can't....
I'm SO confused!!!

Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me..???

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
You can't take livestock through Canada. Canada hasn't allowed that for years. We used to buy alpacas from Canada but the Canadian border stopped all that even with quarantine. As far as I know, that has never been lifted. You will have to find another route. I know people have taken alpacas by boat to and from Alaska but no idea on cost.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the Marine Highway it will be....
Oh Bloomin Onion!
Oh well. So shall it be!
I am NOT LEAVING HERE WITHOUT MY BABIES.!!!
Hubby will just have to deal with it!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't take livestock through Canada. Canada hasn't allowed that for years. We used to buy alpacas from Canada but the Canadian border stopped all that even with quarantine. As far as I know, that has never been lifted. You will have to find another route. I know people have taken alpacas by boat to and from Alaska but no idea on cost.
But I am not talking about importing goats FROM Canada into the US.
There is a difference. My girls are already in the US!
See, the link I posted was with relation to livestock going THRU Canada from one US point of origin, to another US point of Origin. Last time I checked, Alaska was still a part of the US. We have horses, cows, etc, brought up here from the states ALL the time. Constantly. So I KNOW livestock is getting thru...
I think I just have to find the right person to talk to...

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
But I am not talking about importing goats FROM Canada into the US.
There is a difference. My girls are already in the US!
See, the link I posted was with relation to livestock going THRU Canada from one US point of origin, to another US point of Origin. Last time I checked, Alaska was still a part of the US. We have horses, cows, etc, brought up here from the states ALL the time. Constantly. So I KNOW livestock is getting thru...
I think I just have to find the right person to talk to...
From my understanding I think they either fly them in or use a boat. Canada's borders are pretty strict.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are going to use the Marine Highway after all. It will put my mind at ease knowing that my darlings can be checked on every few hours.... AND, I will be able to keep Chloe in milk, because I will have easy access to her.
It will cost a bit more, but I dont care! :)

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I think going the marine highway is the safest route to go. I would worry what would happen when you show up at the checkpoint to get into Canada and they turn you away or worse yet you get to the US border while in Canada and they don't let the goats back into the US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts