Help...Ella is sick again...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by critterhavenfarm, May 26, 2009.

1. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    My poor little girl, Ella, is sick with diarrhea again. It has been SO wet here and I have moved them AGAIN to another area where there have been no goats, but I suspect it is coccidia with her again. No one else has broken with it but once again she is isolated. This time in my other bathroom! Temp is 100.4 now. May have been lower earlier. Just now got my thermometer, and I had given her bath and turned the heater on her, but then turned it off when we left to run to town and she was dry. Just turned it back on again. :sigh:

I've given her Corid and B12 and Pepto and Ivomec yesterday, oh and probios. Today gave her Sulmet instead and will continue on it instead of the Corid. Also gave B12 and Pepto today, along with electrolytes (oral) and probios. She will drink water and looks at hay, but I feel really wants grain and the bottle. I tried to get her to take some warmed yogurt but she wouldn't. She doesn't want the hay which I know is better for her gut than the grain or bottle. I'm wondering if I put the yogurt in a bottle with a little milk if that would be better than the nothing she is eating now...except for drinking water.

She drank part of a bottle last night and would have downed the entire thing but I wouldn't let her. Oh, I also gave her some Molly's pain tonic this morning as she seemed to be hurting a bit...moaning some.

Dark watery diarrhea. She is 8 1/2 weeks old and will eat hay and grain normally, but absolutely loves her bottle. Her attitude is better now than it was a couple of hours ago. I have hay in there with her and yogurt but she doesn't want it. But she is butting me for a bottle. Should I give it to her with the diarrhea or try the yogurt in a bottle with some milk? :worried:

And should I give her anything else? I have B complex too, along with ADE and the usual everything else. :help:

I'm also thinking of changing to the herbal wormer from Molly's Herbals. Anyone else use it with any luck?

Susan

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Susan, do not give any b vitamins while she is on the cocci meds....cocci thrive on thiamine, she needs to be a little depleted to kill them off.
    Give her the bottle with just a little bit of yogurt added...about a teaspoon to 6 oz. Continue with the Albon...which did you get a fecal to be sure? The Albon should be dosed at 5cc per 10 pounds 2x in 1 day then 2 1/2 cc 1x a day for the next 4 days.

You can give her the pepto to help control the diarrhea but do not give anymore b vitamins til at least 2 days after the last dose of albon.
    Keep the hay for her and instead of grain, try a little dry oatmeal...it will also help bind her poop and satisfy the "I want grain" frame of mind she has. I hope she feels better soon. :hug:

3. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks so much...I will hold off on the B12 and give her the yogurt and bottle. Never thought about just oatmeal. I have oats we give the girls but it is mixed with BOSS and didn't want her to have that right now.

We did a fecal 2 weeks ago..well a little over now..and treated then with corid, but I like the sulfa drugs better when there is an actual outbreak..to me the Corid is more of just a preventative isn't it? But my vet gave me corid so we did.

I need to buy some more Sulmet tomorrow just to make sure it is fresh. I don't know how long we have had this jug.

Thanks again
    :hug: Susan

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would still give her a bottle and at least 3cc's of pepto. If the runs are really bad then I usually give a bottle with just powerade or something like that along with the usual bottles to keep them hydrated.

5. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    I had given the 3cc of Pepto earlier so I gave her a bottle and the yogurt now...she downed it...I actually only let her have half and will give her the other half in about 30 minutes.

thanks for your help!! Her attitude is good which is always good. I got a bag of LR's and a line at the vets today just in case but so far she is staying hydrated...thank goodness...

Susan

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I woudl get a fecal run on her specifically to check for worms or cocci. With cocci there is a distinct smell, I can always tell - so maybe you do know that is what it is.

Corid worked best for me and yes that is what the vet reccomends around here too.

Give it at a rate of 1cc per 4lbs. I pull it up with a syringe then add a little flavoring to the mix (mix up a drink mix super strong so it is like liquid candy - really off sets the bitter taste. I add 1cc of this mixture to every 3ccs of corid).

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Susan......I just used Corid on my two 13wk olds and it did not work, I did 2 rounds as the dosage wasn't right the first round......still did not work. Vet changed them to Albon.....gave for full week and did fecal this weekend and they are clear. I do use Molly's Herbals on my yearlings, have for the past 2 months and so far they have done great and clean fecals. I do plan to start my little guys on them, but they have been very sick with cocci and shipping fever.....so waiting for them to get more healthy and then start as they have soooooo many meds in the past 3wks.
    Hope your little one gets better......it is NO fun dealing with a sick goatie!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How is Ella? she doing any better? :pray: