Help, Emergency. newborn kittens

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Mama cat disappeared this morning. Found 3 of her newborn kittens dead. Three alive. We fed them . . . help! Any tips on keeping these babies alive??

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Help, Emergency.

do you have a heating pad?

we just bottle raised 4 kittens like 4 months ago. but them in a small crate or something and have a heating pad on low under them.. only feed them CMR. otherwise they will seize on goat milk and such

after you feed them be sure to stimulate them to go potty, and make sure they pee and poop, otherwise they will get constipated. we used a soft paper towel wet with warm water

feed them like every 3-4 hours

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

CMR? What is it??? We already fed them goats milk . . .

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

Taking care of kittens is really easy. . . they need to be bottle fed. I often use an eye dropper. Head to any pet store and you should find queens milk.

here is a recipe you can use until you can get to a store: One fresh whole egg (15g), Protein supplement (25g), Condensed sweetened milk (17ml), Corn oil (7ml) and Water (250ml). it is not as good as queen's milk replacer but it will work in a pinch.

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

Thanks!

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

The kittens are having a hard time warming up . . . any ideas? ps. They are sleeping. Your prayers are welcome.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the heat pad is the best option to keep them warm

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

I have a heat pad with them . . . . their feet as still too cool for my taste. They are very strong now, the goat milk didn't curdle in their tummies!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

maybe put a towel around them.......... not to cover there head,,make sure ......... the heating pad it is not on to high ............. have a towel or something on the bottom.under the kittens............so they do not scorch..... Can you feel the heat.........when you place your hand under the kittens? If not ..........it isn't high enough or visa versa
    Keep an eye on the temperature of the heating pad though ............make sure they do not overheat.......check it often................

good luck with the babies......

I will pray they will be safe :pray:

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

I have them wrapped up in a towl,. The heating pad is on low, and is body warm. (I am used to bottlefeeding orphan pups, but every kitten I have tried to bottlefed ended up dying.) They are, like I said, really strong now. Their tummies are nice and warm, but their paws are really cold. To make matters worse, we had frost yesterday, and when I went to check on the kittens, (she had then in the hay) I pulled out three dead ones, and then reaching between the cracks of some bales I pulled out the other three. I thought they were dead too, so I put them on the dead pile, but then the white one started to move it's mouth. Gosh, I have never been so happy! Then an idea popped into my head and I began to blow warm breath on each kitten. Three of them moved, the other ones were as limp as rags. :sigh: I feel so bad for not going to check them. Rissy's gone, and yesterday I had a slight feeling she was having complecations because she was going around with a hard ball on her side . . . well, I feel bad. She was our best mouser and the only cat who's lasted for 6 years.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I think goats milk is what shelters use sometimes, so it should be ok (don't quote me though!). I have only raised one, but he ended up dying, I was sooooo sad, I loved that kitty :tears:

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

There are two girls and one boy:

the calico: Eery
    the grey: Sallie (short for Salvation)
    the white boy Miracle

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Forgot to add - I will definatly be praying for the little babies :pray:

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

thank-you! I will take pix of them for you . . .

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

My mom is bottle raising 3 4 week old orphans...mama cat was hit on the road a few hours after they were born. A teeny pet nurser is what she is using as well as the CMR... cat milk replacer...she uses a hot water bottle and dish towels in a box...as well as uses baby wipes on them to stimulate elimination...they have thrived in her care the last 4 weeks so good luck Talitha, I hope they make it.

16. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

They pooped. So that is a major relief as well. Thanks everyone! Keep praying that they make it!

17. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

That's too bad...poor kitties! I'm very sorry for your loss...

There are many milk replacement formulas for kittens, but goats milk should work fine. One of my dogs was raised on goats milk since he was one week old (his mother was stolen) and he grew very well and has thrived. He is 2yrs old now.

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i used goats milk twice for the kittens we bottle fed and all of them had seizures from it and one would up dying. the vet said you could mix half kitten milk replacer and half goats milk, but we didn't take the chance

the box they are in should be small like shoebox size.. you could turn the heating pad up too

19. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Goat milk is perfect for your little ones!! Slowly syringe a couple of cc into each one a few times a day or so..till tummies are full but not overly so. Mine were 5 week olds and they did great, they didnt get any other supplement.
    Just use your judgment as to how much & how often they will do great!

20. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca

I bottle raised 6, 1 day old kitten on ONLY goat milk till the time that they were 8 weeks old. I have never had a problem with it. Sarah I wonder if there was something else wrong with the kittens, cause I know of several people who raised kittens, puppies even baby horses and calves on goats milk. Goats milk is great, yay for goats milk lol