The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED EMERGENCY HELP GUYS. One of our 4-H market wethers just tore out his market ear tag and fair is in a month. It did not tear all the way the way through down the ear, there is about a 1/4 inch of the ear still whole. What do we do? The problem was caused by someone who put in the ear tag backwards at first weigh in. HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
If its bleeding profusely put 1/2 Neosporin 1/2 preparation H on it. I would tape it to keep it to heal back together instead of with a big hole. (I had to use that conviction on a does face)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Contact your 4-H leader, let them know what happened and they can advise you as to what to do. I am sure this is not the first animal that has lost (almost lost) a tag. You made need to put a new tag in. Leaving the tag dangling in a big hole is more likely to get caught and rip the ear the rest of the way.

·
14,802 Posts
I am so sorry this happened :( I agree with what llazykllamas has said, contact the leader and find out what you can do.
The ear may not heal closed if it's a big hole. I would tape it closed as best you can. If you don't have anything to stop bleeding, you can use flour <cooking flour> and that has worked great for us to help stop bleeding.

A couple of years ago when we first started tagging goats, we were tagging a young doe, and my kids let go of her while I was tagging and it ripped her ear :(
It wouldn't heal together again, and eventually ripped all the way to the edge. She was fine, but just took away from her appearance a bit. We used flour to help stop the bleeding, then gently cleaned the flour off and sprayed it with blu-kote. Wrapped it the best we could with vet wrap. Don't wrap it with anything that won't allow air to circulate <vet wrap is best>, especially in these warmer months, you want it to dry and heal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts