The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I should start by saying I am in New Zealand - so we don't have some of the more nasty sounding illnesses that goats in the USA can be afflicted with. But my goat has suddenly become quite ill and even the vet doesn't know what to try. We are thinking of euthanising him :( I would really appreciate some advice, especially if anyone has seen something similar.

I have a boer goat, about 6 yrs old, The goat became lame about 9 days ago, the vet came out to see him and thought that he may have infected sores on his feet. He administered a penicillin shot, and we were instructed to give 3 more shots (2-3 days apart), and spray his feet with a tetracycline spray. We have continued to do that for the last week, however the goat is now off his food, he doesn't show any signs of improvement and the sores that were limited to his feet are now more widespread (near his eye, nose/mouth and all over his skin). The vet has been out to see him today and has not seen a condition like this before, the goat is shivering, doesn't want to bear weight on his hind legs and has widespread scabs on his skin.

The vet suspects there may be some systemic infection - or organ failure. I wish I could do something to help him. THe vet gave another antibiotic shot today (amoxycillian) and a steriod injection. He perked up a bit and had a drink and something to eat - but I presume this is just hte steriods?

He lives in a paddock with two sheep, and has grass and livestock pellets as food. Same paddock-mates and food for the last 7 months or so. For the past week we have been supplementing with hay, carrots, brussel sprouts and bread. We have never given minerals to the goat, and the soil in NZ is selenium deficient.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi
I am in NZ also...Sounds awful... I wish I could be of some help but am also stumped...Are you able to take a photo of the sores?

May pay to drench him too if you haven't already - might be a matter of treating him for everything and hoping that something works? Also, if he is sick and his immune system is down he will be more likely to get worms?

I have had a goat with scabby mouth - orf - which they can get anywhere. I used copper sulphate (from garden store) mixed with water and bathed sores in that - they dried up and fell off a lot quicker...

Let us know how he goes - if I think of anything helpful I will let you know....
Also - a bit of vegemite on bread would be good for him - an easy way to get vit B into a goat. and maybe some honey in some warm water just to keep the energy up so he can eat??

·
Registered
336 Posts
also...if it is orf (scabby mouth) it can be contagious to humans so glove up just in case :)

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
It does sound like Orf.
Soremouth, mites are another thing. Has the vet taken a scraping of this at all?

What is his temp?

How are his gums. eye membrane color?

Lameness could be founder, to lamitis, to hoof rot, Hoof scald. If there are sores.
But you say the vet said, he may think it is infected sores? He isn't sure? Are there visual sores?
If it is sores on the hoofs or between the toes, the goat needs iodine soaks and meds put directly on there. If he needs trimmed do so to get all the yuck out of there.
It will have to be more like hoof scald or hoof rot meds on his hooves.

He needs to remain on dry land, dampness is bad for him.

stop bread. He needs hay mostly

Goats need loose salt and minerals at all times free choice.
He may need Bo-se

Any Rumen activity on his left side, sounds, movement?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Pam listed several very good questions/illnesses to consider....
Temp
Mites
lice
Founder
Sore mouth
also consider staph infection

Bread as a small treat from time to time if fine...too much can shut down the rumen function...
any time a goat is off feed I begin C D Antitoxin and Thiamine to prevent more problems...The C D antitoxins job is to clear toxins that will build when the rumen function is compromised..Goats make their own Thiamine (B1) but when they are not eating they cant and this can bring on goat polio...prevention is so much easier than the cure..

while you are looking at Pams questions and begin to rule out things..offer him home made electrolytes to keep him hydrated...( recipe to follow)
Loose minerals are important to offer free choice...since he is housed with Sheep, I assume Cooper is not offered in his diet as well...I suggest copper bolus along with BoSe or the selenium vit E gel
B complex is an awesome support vitamin that can be given daily..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
2,377 Posts
Hm... wonder why he got a steroid shot. I guess it's what vets do. If it saves his life .. good. Everything ends up being a guess but would certainly follow cathy and pams advice and start with poking things down him for nutrition. He may need selenium if you are in a selenium deficient area. This deficiency can cause all sorts of problems as does also copper deficiency. It can make them more vulnerable to sore mouth issues and fungal infections. At this time... this goat needs fluids, and perhaps the homemade electrolyte mixture that cathy mentioned to help bring his system back up. Molasess especially has all sorts of things like potassium and other minerals in it to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the advice and quick replies - much appreciated. Unfortunately, his condition deteriorated significantly overnight and we (in consultation with the vet) decided that the kindest thing to do was to euthanise him :(

Thanks again

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Im sorry ...never an easy choice to make..:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts