The Goat Spot Forum banner

Help fading baby how to let it go

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  sweetgoats 
#1 ·
We had 2 sets of quads and 1 baby was never very strong. We brought him to the house and have been tending him with small feeds and lots of quiet TLC. He had several meconium stools and now he just sleeps and does not really eat. He was not strong enough to stand we gave him Bo-se and vitamins per the vet but he is no better and appears to be fading. How do you watch these little ones go. It kills me to see him fade. Any ideas what else to try, Very sad.:mecry::tears:

#3 ·
Get a temp and make sure the kid isn't sub temp, if the temp is, make is at least 100 degree's, do you know how to tube feed?
If not, get a 12cc syringe(no needle) and give the baby colostrum. Maybe a few of those every couple of hours. Do it very slowly and at the back corner of the mouth. I insert my index finger in the mouth mimicking a teat and try to get the sucking reflux at the same time.

The kid may be starving ,if it hasn't eaten for a long time and the tummy is empty.
Don't give up, keep trying.

You did good by giving Bo-se and vitamins.

Praying the little one will make it.

#5 ·
Ivyridge, thank you so much for posting this. By doing that you are helping us newbies. I am learning from your experience. If you lose the baby - I know this will sound poopy , but he didnt die in vain. He helped us learn. What did I learn? I learned that it's important for the new born kids to get colostrum. If they don't get it they can have serious problems. Im not saying that is the case for your kid. I wanted to research reasons for failure to thrive in kids and that is what I found. I am also learning from reading suggestions others are giving you. You are a caring goat mom. I wish I could hold your hand. I know you are doing everything possible to save him. I believe that all living things have a spirit. When they cease to exist in this place they go back to the source- the Divine Force/ energy- God. Because I am a Panentheist - all in God and God in all- I believe that his spirit will come back if his body wasn't strong enough to house it. I have noticed that people who raise animals and take part in the cycle of life are more spiritual than people who don't . Just know that you really aren't losing him. Love and Light to you.

#6 ·
I agree with Toth..also give him some honey for energy...or molasses...strong coffee..warm of course will help perk him up...best wishes

#7 ·
Thank you all for your advice. We went to get the feeding tube but everywhere was closed we finally found an emergency vet office who sold us a feeding tube but just as we were paying for it my daughter called to say he had passed. This is our first loss and I hate feeling that I could have prevented this. I work with babies and feeding tubes every day but did not have one at home. I appreciate everything people suggested. Now I have the tube and this will not happen again. I have also learned about the importance of Bo-Se and vitamins. Next year will be better. I still have 12 beautiful babies and one does left to kid. Thank you all.

#8 ·
I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing these little babies. I still have cases that tear me up. Just know that in such a short life your baby knew what it was to be loved, sometimes that's all we can do for them, give them love and let them go.

#9 ·
Im very sorry.

#13 ·
Sorry for your loss too. It is such a hard situation. Sometimes with our help they pull through & sometimes they dont, we dont always know.
Ive only had two successful warm ups out of three. The second one I didnt get to quick enough what with #1 being worked on.
I just got a feeding tube. Hopefully I wont have to use it but it is here just in case.
Hugs to you.

#14 ·
I am so sorry for your loss as well.

I will say it never gets easier (at least not for me), but that said the first one is always the hardest.

I will tell you that after I bought my tube, I never had to tube feed in the 13 years of kidding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.