Help for a doeling

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Victoria, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    My friend called me yesterday to tell me her goat had twins, one was dead when she found it. The other one, a little doeling is not doing so well, or it appears she is not. I went out to her place, checked the baby over, she looks fine, but weak. She will stand but just stands and is exhausted. The momma goat keeps fussing and fussing over her, wanting her to get up, nurse etc..(mom's a FF) so I gave the baby a BoSe shot in the morning, no change. Went to check her again in the evening, still no change, so we gave her some vitamin b, val syrup, and the molasses, coffe, brandy mixture..still no change. This morning the baby is the same, but every time we check her, her tummy feels full. I temped her last night and there was poo on the thermometer, her temp was normal @103.2 . I really don't know what to do. If it was my baby I would tube feed her, but my friend is an old Polish woman, she refusus to do that. Right now she is milking the mom and syringing it. I am going out again this afternoon to check on her. I am hoping the baby is just weak and will take some time to get her strength up. Is there anything else I should be doing?? anything I missed??
    Thanks for any help.. oh, forgot to say if you put the baby to the teat to nurse, she doesn't DO anything, she just stands there..

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    weigh baby to see if she is gaining or not. Syringe feeding is better then nothing - I have done that as well.

BoSe is what I would have suggested so you are on top of that.

Give her some Nutri Drench

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you are doing everything possible for her - :wink:

Keep us posted.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I second the Nutra Drench.

Make sure that baby is warm. Double check the thermometer and make sure it is working. ( I know it sounds funny but they will stop and you are counting on that being correct).

Rub the baby really well to get the circulation going.

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    she sounds to be a bit better,
    she nursed a bit on her mum,
    about five sips, this is progress!!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    every little bit helps. I hope she makes it :pray:

7. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I would second the rubbing idea to really get her circulation going, and is there an herb for appetite? I'm sure there is somethinggggg that can be given to stimulate the appetite. Perhaps some anise mixed in with the milk would help?

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Informati ... /herbs.htm

I would definitely tube her, just to get some food in her tummy. And I'd actually give her some echinacea too, just in case there's some infection brewing.

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    You have to be careful with syringe feeding. If that kids gets any in her lungs she probably won't make it.