Help for Nubian doe with cystic ovaries

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tiffany Hindman, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Tiffany Hindman

Tiffany Hindman New Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Hi everyone, I am looking for some treatment advice with a 1 1/2 year old Nubian doe. I acquired her from some friends and she had never been around a buck (just 2 other does). She has been coming in heat like clock work since August of 2019. She has been with 2 different very fertile bucks a total of 4 times and each time 21 days later boom she is back in heat. This time I decided not to put her in with the buck and she has now been in heat for 11 days. She will be in showing in heat for 2 days, out for 1, back in for 2 and out for 1..... over and over again. She is driving me and my other does CRAZY! She is very healthy otherwise. Not wormy, in good nutritional health. We don't have any good goat vets in our area that will come to us. I need Help please!!

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I think you will need a vet for this to get the hormones you need. There are a number of different thoughts on this, most involve Cystorelin given while in standing heat, then another shot 24 hours later - some use lutalyse, PG600 - these are all RX..... so I would reach out to a vet. Perhaps you could place a phone call and have a conversation and be able to pick up what you need.

Sfgwife and Tiffany Hindman like this.

3. Tiffany Hindman

Jan 7, 2020
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Thank you!

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

How do you know she has cystic ovaries?

5. Tiffany Hindman

Jan 7, 2020
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. Looking for people who have experience with does that have had cystic ovaries. I have not had a vet look at her and I am by no means a vet but all the educational articles I have read regarding goats reproductive problems leads me to think that is the problem. So I am wondering others and their experience.

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Since she is a first timer.... did you actually see her stand for the bucks and do the hunchy dance when he did the deed? Or you just put her in with them and wait a few days then take her away? The reason i ask this.... sometimes you have to hold a first timer. They do all the right things but when it comes to a buck mounting them (even if they are crazy in standing heat) they run off and the job does not get done. I am not saying she may not be cystic but this thought ran through my head since we had a first timer this year and she did what i this.

Tiffany Hindman likes this.
  7. Tiffany Hindman

Jan 7, 2020
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Lol... no I had to actually hold her still because all she wants to do is have her head humped! My husband and I were working out in the barn the last time they were together and I actually held her while he covered her 9 times! Hunched back and all...... so I am 100% sure she is getting bred. Each time i have had them together i have had to go out and hold her still multiple times a day to make sure he was able to make good contact.

Sfgwife likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    You said a vet won’t come to you. I assume then that goat vets exist, but will not make a farm call. Just load her up and take her in. Any hormone imbalance will require vet help. If you don’t have a livestock trailer (I don’t), chuck her in the back of whatever enclosed vehicle you have and drive her there. Human adult diapers duct-taped onto the goat will keep your car clean.

ksalvagno likes this.
  10. Tiffany Hindman

Jan 7, 2020
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Thank you for this advice. I talked to my vet and they gave me a bottle of Fertagyl. Supposed to be the same thing as Cystorelin...... she started in heat tonight. The buck covered her twice and I gave her a 2cc injection. So you are saying I should give her a 2nd 2cc injection in 24 hours? Just wanted to clarify.
    My vet didn't really elaborate on the step by step instructions. We spoke briefly between her emergency calls.....

11. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    That's what others I know do .... you may just want to place a phone call to clarify with your vet. Good luck!

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I did 2 shots, 1 at the first sign of the buck being interested and another 24 hours later. Keep that bottle because I had to do it again the next month as well because she didn’t take. She did the second time but the next year when she was doing the same crap again i culled her. Hopefully she takes the first time but it is not uncommon to have to do it again the next heat cycle ;)