Help, found an abcess on my goat...CL????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ruedyranch, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I have a small herd of Boer market goats and 2 Saanen does. Six of them are due to kid in 6 weeks. Today I went into the barn and noticed a scratch on the underside of Blossom's ear when I was giving her a little lovin'. When I looked closer I noticed a hard nodule on the tip of her ear and when she pulled away it popped right off. It was hard and filled with a green pus. It did not have an odor to it. The abcess came completely off and I immediately removed it from the barn. I have an old dairy farm and am wondering if it was CL could it have come from the herd of cows there previously? Can CL appear anywhere? Everything that I've read says it is usually found near the neck. She is one of the boers and the abcess was at the tip of her ear. What a nightmare. What does this mean for the future of my dairy goats?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    CL abcesses to my knowledge do not show up on the ear itself.

I would clean her ear up good and make sure it doesnt get more infected. Use like peroxide and some blu-kote.

3. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    CL is a white, cheesy pus. The abcess will become soft and then rupture, not pop off.

It does not sound like CL to me.

4. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Wow, thanks. Yesterday was a nerve wracked day. Everything on the internet is so conflicting. Each article I read stated something different than the next. One article reports that if you have boers you have CL. One states that if you find an abscess there is a 90% chance in goats that it will turn out to be CL and another said only 30% chance. One says once you have it you can't ever get rid of it and another says if you are diligent in removing the abscess and isolate the goat from the herd you can prevent it from spreading through the herd. Is it true that if you manage to get the entire abscess off and prevent reinfecting the goat that that would be the only abscess the goat gets and can't spread it to the rest of the herd although they still develop antibodies and are carriers? Here are some of the articles I read.
    http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cl/cl3.shtml
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0085/
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... esses.html
    How common is this? Can I expect to eventually have to deal with this at some point?

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It doesn't sound like CL to me either. They don't come off like that.

Jan

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I too agree ...doesn't sound like CL.... :hi5:

Don't believe all that you read.....come here first ...we are smarter here.... on the goat Spot.... :wink: :D and have been through it all....in trial and error...ect... on all kinds of issues....we are "All"... a team here...members included ... :grouphug: that have great knowledge.... in the goat world.... :thumb:

CL...can be everywhere....the bad part is ...in certain circumstances... it can be brought in by a fly...... from one wound.... to the other...........so ....no one is safe really.... :(