Help. Goat down.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by wylie1, May 31, 2019.

1. wylie1

wylie1 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Seven year old Nubian, kidded 2 weeks ago, everything went fine. Healthy babies. Have been milking her everyday, feeding the babes with her milk, she won't nurse them, she has a wonky udder, but she still mothers them.
    Everything normal, and fine yesterday. Today about 3:00 I went out and she was down. Couldn't get up, and I saw some blood near her rectum. I called the vet, he arrived 25 minutes later. In that time I sat with her, tried giving her some animal crackers, which she chewed but spit out. She nibbled a little alfalfa I offered her.
    Vet arrived, I had wormed her the day before, I showed him what I used and the dosage. Ivermax Pour On, orally. 1ml per 22lbs. He said that was fine. We discussed how long she was down for, and everything that had been going on. Like I said, yesterday she seemed to be 100% fine. Except, after I milked her, I thought she looked a bit thin, and her eye lids looked too pale, so that's why I wormed her. She was still acting totally normal.
    Her temp was 104. Gave her antibiotics, I can't remember the name, but he said it was a high grade, good one. He did a fecal, and said her worm load was still high, and wormed her again with Valbazen. She still had some fight in her when he was dosing her with the wormer. We got her up. She stood and walked around the pen for about 5-10 minutes.
    As soon as the vet left, she laid down and started yelling. This lasted a few minutes, then she got herself up and left the pen, and started grazing in the pasture. A minute or two later, she laid down, but kept eating. Then she stopped eating and just laid there. I got her up and she walked about 40 feet over the round hay bail and laid down between it and the barn.
    I gave her a dose of PRN Hi-Energy Supplement with iron, let her lay there about 30 minutes and then we got her up again. This time she walked to the end of the hay bale and started eating. She took several bites of the hay, moved to the back of the bail again, and laid down.
    I gave her about an hour, got her up again and made her go into the barn. She didn't eat anything that time, but did walk over to the hay rack where I put alfalfa. She was up about 10 minutes then laid back down, right where she was standing at the hay rack. She's very lethargic. I dosed her with the supplement again.
    I'm freaking out, because she's always been healthy, and this seems to have hit so suddenly. I did notice she had a semi snotty nose, and seemed to be breathing a little heavy. Her rumen was working, but I didn't see her bring up a cud.
    Please, does anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?? I lost my Thelma just 3 months ago, and this seems very similar. Any ideas? Any suggestions? I'm completely at a loss and stunned.
    Thanks.
    Deb

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Try and find out what the antibiotic was that you gave her.
    Is her udder hot, swollen, tender, anything that points to mastitis? My alpine did kinda the same thing. I milked her and she seemed a little off. Milk looked fine, no temp I couldn’t pin point anything that was wrong. Next day she didn’t have much milk so I skipped the night milking because I was trying to dry her up. The next day she was sick as a dog! I milked her and NASTY NASTY stuff came out. So even if nothing is pointing to mastitis I strongly urge you to keep up on milking her at least, even if there isn’t much to milk.
    Any rattle when she breaths?
    Make sure she is drinking! Keep a eye on that. She can get dehydrated fast especially lactating and that will make her not want to eat as well as a lot of other issues obviously.
    Ok now to think out side of the box. Smell her back side, make sure no bad smell. I lost a doe to a infection on her chest plate. I didn’t notice it for the longest time, that is now one of the things on my list when I’m checking a sick animal. Just make sure she is ok there and keep a eye on it if she stays where she lays more then is up.
    That’s all I got. Hopefully someone else has better for you :(

mariarose and SandyNubians like this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Does she still have a fever? You might want to give her a dose of banamine. If her eye lids are pale you might want to start redcell. I'd give her some flat dark beer to help keep her rumen in good shape after the antibiotics. Vitamin b complex never hurts either.

If she's having trouble with her milk, I'd suggest chewable vitamin c along with what @Jessica84 mentioned and maybe massage her udder with some peppermint oil to get a good assessment of her udder.

I hope she start to feel better quickly.

mariarose and Jessica84 like this.
  4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    If she had blood from her rectum her digestive system is quite damaged from the parasites. Kidding, especially late spring, can really cause a severe parasite bloom. Be sure to check other lactating does. Some people automatically deworm when the doe kids.

I can't find online how much iron your PRN Hi Energy has - does the tube say?

mariarose likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

Banamine will help with appetite and fever. How is her temp now?

Giving fortified vit B complex SQ, 6 cc's per 100 lbs helps with appetite.

For one, never give any pourons orally not good.

I agree, red cell is a good iron supplement, give for one week, then 1 x a week thereafter. However, check her coloring daily, if at anytime her color gets to borderline safe, stop then and there.

Probiotics are good to give too.

happybleats likes this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I agree.

camooweal likes this.
  7. wylie1

wylie1 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Thank you all! She has gotten up, and is grazing, and eating alfalfa hay today. Yesterday she had a bout of horrendous diarrhea. We cleaned her off and I
    milked her. She gave about the same as usual. Today, she's been up and out a couple times. I dosed her with Valbazen as per my vet's instruction. She's eating alfalfa hay and grazing, but is refusing any sweet feed. I noticed she had diarrhea again. I cleaned her off, but I'm thinking I'll give her a break from forcing her up on the milk stand today.
    I'm going to dose her with the hi energy plus iron supplement my vet left me. I have some Red Cell but it's probably expired by now.
    Thanks again for the replies. I don't think she's out of the woods, but there's definite improvement, and it gives me hope.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    In my opinion, don't forgo the milking. You don't need udder problems on top of everything else. If the milk stand causes problems, can you tie her up and milk her on the ground? (Into a pan or bucket).

Banamine helps to calm the gut, (as well as pain, fever, etc) and giving a dose of injectable Vit. A,D and E along city Vit. B Complex will also aid in getting her back to normal. (Some TSC stores sell injectable AD+E).

mariarose, goatblessings and Sfgwife like this.
  9. wylie1

wylie1 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    East Texas
    I did that per my vets instruction. I did question it, but he said giving injectable orally would be too much.

10. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'd also suggest giving the the red cell as well add some electrolyte if you have some into the red cell, and definitely give her vitamin B shots. Do this regime 2-3 times per day, not just once per day. Keep her contained so that she doesn't expend a lot of energy, She'll come out of it more quickly. plus you can clean the worm contaminated poop and not spread it around your pastures. The alfalfa is also great for her. keep a close eye on her and keep up with the supplements to help her recover.

mariarose and wylie1 like this.
  11. wylie1

wylie1 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    East Texas
    I've been giving her Red Cell, 10cc plus some power punch, 10cc. I will continue the Red Cell. I was thinking maybe 6cc twice a day? I will head to Atwoods for the vitamin injectables. Can I use Banamine paste? It doesn't require a prescription. And...would anybody have an idea of the dosage?
    Thank you all so much for your input. I'm not used to having sick goats, and it's really shook me to my soul. I love my girls, and my big, giant wether too.:bighug:

mariarose likes this.
  12. wylie1

wylie1 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    East Texas
    The tube says 40mg, but that's for the whole tube. I was instructed to give her about a quarter tube, 2x, several hours apart. She hated it.
    That's before I remembered I had a jug of Red Cell. She doesn't like that much either. At least I know she still has a little fight left in her.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

Glad she is doing OK.

14. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    Red Cell dosage for an adult doe is about 5ml (for clarity ml and cc are the same, but syringes are usually in ml) each dose and can be given multiple times per day orally. If she really anemic you should shoot for ideally 3x per day. for those of us who work and can't do that, then give a little more like 6-7 ml 2x per day. I mix in electrolytes, and injectible iron 1 ml too. If you don't have injectable iron, you can give the iron pig paste to help boot her iron mixed into red cell.

Fortified B complex is best to use, Jeffers has about the best prices on this (buy a big bottle, You'll use it ). if you have goats B should be about the 1st thing you grab when they are off as it helps boost their system, administer 5-6 ML IM 2-3 times per day. I can't find affordable needle syringes large enough to do this in one dose so it's always 2 shots 2.5 ML each in a 3 ml needle syringe. For needles I like 20G x 3/4" x 1.9cm buy them from Jeffers. If you have another person around to help you hold while you administer the shots that's best. If you're alone, pin the animal between a gate and fence and then you'll have to be quick.

mariarose likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Red cell is 6cc per 100 lbs.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California