The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
8,266 Posts
You actually don't want to leave baking soda out for wethers. It deactivates their Ammonium Chloride and alkalizes the urine which can cause stones. It's better to only use as needed with male goats.
Like I've said before, I learn something new everytime I come here! I didn't know that the baking soda neutralizes the ammonium chloride! Thanks for the info!

·
8,266 Posts
If you do clip them- it does help the blade life if you bathe them first! The dirt will dull the blades really quickly!
It's really great that you are taking on the care of the goats. So many people still think that goats are just the backyard billy goats
with horns that eat tin cans, from the funny papers.

If their hooves are too hard to clip, wait until after a rain when they get softened up, some!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Where are you located? Also, since you may be the only person who has taken these goatsd seriously...while you have the ear of management, I'd working on putting together a basic first aid kit for these goats with a "replacement schedule" taped to the inside of the lid showing when the contents will expire and need replaced. You can keep the baking soda, ammonium chloride, and hoof shears in here. Also be sure to get blood stop powder, a thermometer, some gloves, probiotic paste...and for the fridge, some Pen G (cheap antibioltic), C/D antitoxen and tetanus antitoxen (if you aren't going to vaccinate them yearly with CD/T...which covers tetanus and "overeating" disease (when their rumen shuts down). You could also keep a wormer on hand and some "blue kote" to spray on any wounds.

There's much more I keep in my goat's kit, esp. Biomycin or LA 200 for respiratory problems...but I know you'll be on a budget putting this together. I'm trying to be "bare minimum" here... On the lid I'd put a sticker with a goat's normal temperature and the usages / doses of the medicine. If you decide to vaccinate (as you do your research) it's always 2CC per goat of the C/D & T vaccine. the first time you do it you'll have to give them a booster shot.

You might be able to convince the camp manager (esp. if the campers come with spendign money" to hold a "bake sale" or "candy sale" for the goats...so you can use the money to put a first aid kit together....just ideas.

***you'll need syringes for all the injecable meds...I buy 6CC "luer lock" so the needle stayso n with 20G 1/2 or 3/4 inch needles....they come in a box of 6. Giving shots isn't that hard once you can hold them....I know you aren't to that point yet, but just FYI ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update!

Hey guys! I just wanted to update/thank you all for your advice!

Quincy (Our wether) is looking SO much better! His lice are gone and his hair has stopped falling out. He's still pretty skinny, but overall he looks SO much better!

Our two young females are getting much more friendly. They're still pretty skittish, but I can pet them now if they're distracted with food. I brought some children into their pen to see them last week (and to help me feed :p) and not only did the two girls let the kids feed them, they let them pet their backs as well! :cool:

Thank you all SO much for all of your help! You truly saved these goats' lives. I'm so glad there is such a fantastic resource here to turn to if I get confused or have questions. You all rock!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey everyone! I'm bumping this thread because I wanted to update you on our goats.

They are doing a million times better! Our wether has gained all of his weight back and is looking healthier than ever. Our two does are much friendlier--they still pretend to be afraid of me, but if I have treats, I can pet them all I want.

I cannot thank you all enough for your help. I hope you have a fantastic holiday!

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts