The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little nubian cross girl is losing weight. She has full access to a large pasture, a little bit of grain and oats, and so.times some hay. She has been getting rounder, but losing weight around her hips and spine. Her twin is just fine though. They were kept with a young buck before I got them. Any help will be apricated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She doesn't look too bad, remember they are dairy goats so you will see their bones. I do agree she could use a few extra pounds. She should get free feed hay. Calf Manna, Beet Pulp, 16%-18% sweet feed, rice bran, Black Oil Sunflower seeds will all help put some weight on her. Also remember, always start slow with small amounts when adding new feed :)

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
you said she was kep with a buck? is she bred...sometimes Doe will loose condition during pregnacy...might account for her bigger belly..??
Have you wormed her lately andif so with what? how much? is she acting well other wise..pooping berries, peeing eating drinking well? active? how does her lower inner lids look..shouldbe bright pink to red...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is eating and drinking just not gaining like her sister in mass, butt she is slowly getting rounder. Her poo is not it pellets, but like the little balls stuck together.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'd consider sending in a blood sample to Biotracking to determine if she's pregnant or not. If not, then we can at least rule something out.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Some does just don't like being bred.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Some does have larger windows of opportunity than others..and if the buck was busy with other ladies..he may have kept missing her...but a test will help settle your mind..
I would have a fecal done as well..ploppy poo can be worm issue, too much green graze or feed...how do her eyes look?? Hair..is it soft and glossy or course?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is on spring grass and its hard to tell on her coat because she likes going under the dump truck, and she gw ts grease on her back

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
lol..she is adventurace lol...try giving hay 30-40 minutes before releasing to pasture..it sets the rumen up and helps regulate the poo...also worm eggs travel up the dew on grass bladed.. goat eats grass..and gets the eggs too...by waiting until the sun dries up the dew you decrease the chance of them reinfesting with worms..
I would run a fecal to see is worm load is an issue since she is having weight loss..if you can not have one done I would treat preventivly...Ivomec plus covers a good base of worms and is safe if she is bred...1 cc per 40# Sub Q...I would treat both ladies just in case..

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
No sorry..blood or Sonogram...Blood test is cheaper...Pull about 2 cc from the jugular and send it in to biotracking...they are a very trustworthy lab...look up their web site for all forms you need and how to go about it..might test for CAE while you are at it...:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts