Help! Goat on deaths door

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by blip3200, Nov 26, 2019.

1. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Hi All,

I have a goat that has been showing neurological symptoms for over 3 weeks now. It started with a slight limp, 23 days ago. We called the vet the next day when she started looking off balance. At that point she was still eating well. The vet treated her for listeriosis and goat polio. Thiamine, 7cc penicillin once a day for 5 days, 4cc Nuflor every other day (3 doses total) banamine 2.5 ml for 5 days. I had to leave for a trip that very day and my husband did the injections while I was gone. He said that she improved, though not completely. When I returned a little over a week ago, she looked about the same to me. I called the vet and the vet said that if it was in fact listeria, she would have died or gotten better by now. She said it was probably a tumor or something. A few days ago she was eating way less than usual, and today she can't stand. She seems to only want to lay or lean in one direction. When I tried to get her to lay on her other side (I thought she might be sore) she freaked out.

My heart is broken. I just wish I knew what was wrong. Is it possible that the vet under treated listeria? I read on other sights that theres a protocol for 10cc of penicillin per 100 lbs body weight every 6 hours until 24 hrs after all symptoms are gone. We definitely didn't do that. I have extra penicillin. At this point, I think she may even die today or tomorrow, so maybe it's too late. If anyone has any last ditch suggestions for things I could try, I would really appreciate it.

On hand I have: Thiamine (prescription), bcomplex (over counter), respond paste, penicillin, anti-inflammatory (pill form, can't get her to eat so that may be tricky), electrolites, prohibit wormer, safeguard wormer (expired but may work), molly's herbal wormer.

She's 8 years old. About 110 lbs. We don't feed hardly any grain. She eats good quality mixed grass hay when not browsing. We live in central Ohio. We only have two goats and 3 sheep and plenty of land, so they aren't densely stocked. All of our animals had a bout with barber pole worms in August. Their eyelids are nice and pink now.

2. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Oh, and no fever when the vet checked her a few weeks ago. I suppose I should check again.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Treating for listeriosis and polio should be done every 6 hours around the clock. I'd go back to treating and this time be aggressive.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Any way you could get video of her to post? It's so hard to know what is going on. I have no experience with Listeriosis, but I'd think if she is not being treated aggressively that after 3 weeks she'd already be gone? Maybe I'm wrong?

Honestly, I would have had a fecal done to rule out any underlying issues to include coccidia. Rectal temp? Probiotics and of course thiamine for polio.
    Do you supplement selenium or copper? Again, hard to know without seeing a goat, or knowing it's history in a situation like this.

Try giving her a dose of Dexamethasone, see if she responds to that at all? We've had some random issues over the years, and I really think the Dex was a big key factor in their turning around and pulling through.

If she doesn't make it, I would look into having a necropsy done to determine the cause. But I'm sure praying she will make it. My heart is with you, it is no fun watching an animal suffering and not knowing how to treat or if they can even be saved. It's tough raising critters :(

blip3200 likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Thanks. Yes, I wish we had treated aggressively from the beginning. Nothing to video at this point. She's just laying on the ground. It's not looking good. She was stumbling, leaning before. Balance off. She's been eating fine and everything up until a couple days ago. I give them a copper bolus every 6 months. Since we have sheep in with them they have sheep mineral, which is why I supplement with the copasure bolus. I do have selenium in tube, but have only given it occasionally since I don't want to over do it. The vet seemed certain that if it was listeriosis it would have killed her by now, and everything I seem to read on the internet sounds the same. I guess there's nothing to lose starting the penicillin injections and thiamine every 6 hrs at this point. I'll be surprised if she makes it.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Update: I've given her a new penicillin injections (10cc per 100lbs body weight) as directed on the onion creek ranch sight. Also gave her 1.25 cc of prescription thiamine. When I gave her the injections, I realized that she is horribly dehydrated, I guided her over to the water and she drank about a 1/2 gallon of electrolyte water. I think her problem is her motor control is so off that she can't drink or eat. I then guided her to the hay and gave her some grain and she is slowly eating that and standing on her own. I also gave her a dose of the respond paste and the anti-inflammatory pills I have (stuffed in a marshmallow). I'll continue with the penicillin and Thiamine every 6 hrs and hope for the best. I honestly don't know what else to do besides that and to help her drink. I don't know how to get the dex since it's prescription. Can I just call the vet and ask them to fill it for me? I have a feeling that by tomorrow she'll either be responding to what I'm giving her, or she'll be dead. Going to try and get a rectal temp now to see if there is a fever.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You are doing all you can. Ask the vet for Dex. Keep her drinking and try to get her up periodically. I hope she surprises you by recovering.

blip3200 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Since you were treating the listeriosis, even if not aggressively, it may have added to her days rather than one not treated at all. Keep with the high doses of Penn every 6 hours, Thiamine we want 500 mg in her every 6 hours and I second using Dexamethasone..1 cc per 20# IM once a day. you will need to ween her off the Dex when the time comes but we can deal with that when she is ready. Keeping her hydrated and well fed is going to be a challenge. Try making smoothies of dark greens, carrots, celery, garlic, molasses, yogurt etc..blend well and use a large syringe or turkey baster to feed it to her..if she can chew well..you can stuff balls of hay into her mouth. I did this every few hours or so for about 45 minutes letting my goat chew and swallow. Keep bringing her water and electrolytes. If she cant get up by herself, use a large towel like a sling and help her exercise. I would also recommend ordering Herbamin extract from Land of Havilah. One dropper full a few times a day will offer her amazing herbs in a quick use form. Best wishes!!

blip3200 and HoosierShadow like this.
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    One last note: Listeriosis can be contagious. Please wear gloves and take bio-security measures.

Treva Brodt and blip3200 like this.
  11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Your vet can either sell you a small bottle of Dex or draw it up in syringes for you. I want to say I pay around $10-13 for a 100mL bottle.

I sure hope she pulls through. Definitely keep encouraging her to drink. If you can set up a buffet around her of food and water so she doesn't have to go to them, then if she does pull through as she gets stronger you can start getting her to be more active by separating and making her go to the food.

Since I don't know your location, and your herd, you might look up selenium and copper deficiency symptoms to see if anything is similar to her symptoms, and since you supplement copper, check symptoms for copper toxicity - not sure it would help, but just a thought.

blip3200 likes this.
  12. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    She's still kickin. Eating what she can. I'll call the vet tomorrow about the Dex. I hope they are open! She can walk once she's up, but has a hard time getting up once she's down. Once last thought-- any chance this is meningeal worm infection? We live in Central Ohio. It's been very wet and we have a ton of deer around.

13. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Man, it seems like vets don't know much. She told me it wasn't contagious to humans. Makes me wonder why I bother calling at all. When I called back two weeks later and told her she still wasn't better, she told me it was probably just arthritis. Sigh. Definitely not.

Treva Brodt likes this.
  14. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Here's a video of her from a several hours ago. As you can see, she's stumbly. I forgot to mention also that about a week ago the biggest thing I noticed was a hunched up back and poor balance, reduced appetite.

15. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    And disregard all that wasted hay! I asked for a better hay feeder for Christmas I swear!

happybleats likes this.
  16. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    One more video of her from earlier today.

17. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I've uploaded a couple videos if you want to take a look. Hoping the very is open tomorrow for Dex.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    TCOLVIN, groovyoldlady and blip3200 like this.
  19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    It wont hurt to treat for Meningeal worm. Is there any chewing marks along her spine where she can reach with her mouth? Safeguard is treatment..once a day for 5 days. along with Dex. so adding safeguard to her listeriosis treatment wont hurt. I would def. keep up with listeriosis treatment. You may see better recovery once Dex is used.

20. blip3200

blip3200 Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I just have her get first dose. No spots Along her spine where she can reach, but I've noticed a quarter-sized soft lump at the base of her neck on her spine. The hair is falling out there. Poor thing