Help! Goat Recovering from Xylazine?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by erisfae, Sep 6, 2012.

1. erisfae

erisfae Goat Mama

Sep 3, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I've always had horses, but I'm new to goats. We took our two boys to be wethered today; the little one got away with a banding, but the bigger one had to be castrated, straight out.

So, our Nigerian Dwarf was given an IV injection of Xylazine. How do we help him recover? He's completely knocked out, can't even lift his head, drooling and gassy.

We've got penicillin, as our vet advised, and are keeping him propped up right, not letting him lie flat. Our vet had an emergency case come in, as we were finishing up, and couldn't explain much else to do. What else do we do for him?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't think your vet was suppose to give a goat this stuff, please read link below.

I never heard of the stuff until you mentioned it. I see that your goat needs a vet that knows how to bring him out of it, he may aspirate the fluid and dehydrate.The bloat may kill him as well. I do not think, that vet is very smart, as that is an emergency in itself, in my opinion. Seek another vet if you can.
    I just don't know how to remedy it. Never experienced it.
    Other than maybe, give gas X, baking soda, try to get him on his feet and rub his left side (rumen) and throat, to get him to burp, try getting him up. The more he lays there, the more he will bloat, don't let him aspirate his drool, don't feed him until he get more awake. If you rather get a vet's opinion I highly recommend it. :hug: :pray: Your goat is at high risk.

Don't know either, if you can give epinephrine , ask a vet that knows goats if possible.

http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/xylazine.htm

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How long ago was the procedure done? That vet should have had an associate there to finish as well as bring your boy out of the anesthetic.... Goats do not do well at all under anesthesia, most vets know this

4. erisfae

erisfae Goat Mama

Sep 3, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    It's been almost three hours.

He's a bit more awake, now. He even got up and walked around, a little. 'Course, that leads to new problems, as he keeps moving himself into a sprawled-out position(won't just stay between the hay bales to keep him balanced, anymore) and it's much more difficult to keep him propped up.

5. erisfae

erisfae Goat Mama

Sep 3, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    He gave him the Xylazine on the clinic's lawn, had a vet-tech hold him up as it took effect, sliced his sack open, pulled the testicles out, castrated in a just a few minutes, and then had the vet-tech help me load him back in the car. One injection, snip, clip and load.

He did make sure we had something to put under him, as he said his wound would be 'seep-y', rather than the bloodless banding our other one had.

6. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    I have experience with horses given xylazine. But after reading Pam's link I think that you ought to get a hold of your vet ASAP.
    A horse will come out of a Xy/torb cocktail after a little while. Usually less than an hour if given IV.
    Your goat is suffering from an anesthetic that is lasting too long. I had that happen when we had about a hundred birds surgically sexed one day. They were all given ketamine (this was 20 years ago) and one bird, a personal favorite of mine, did not wake up. My Geordi, a jardines parrot that I had handraised from the egg, did not really wake up from the ketamine completely for nearly a week! She had to be tube fed and kept in a fish tank to regulate her body temp.
    She did recover completely eventually, but a parrot digestive system is nothing compared to the complexity of a ruminant's.
    Like they are saying, keep his head elevated and keep trying to stimulate him. Try to get him up. And get your vet back out!!!!
    Good luck!

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Ive used xylazine in goats several times, but always IM never IV and only a very small.dose. Mine are completely normal within.an hour. Tje drooling is.normal.but sounds like he was gien way too mucb.

It is also nirmal for these types of things to be done outside on clean lawn when it comes to livestock.

8. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I to once had xyazine used on a goat to take care of a bad scur and they were out of it pretty quickly.

9. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    u need to keep track of his heafrt rates and respirations! take him back to the vet. they should have never of given him xylazine in the first place but the vet should hve an ansthesia reverser. this is coming from personal experiencce, i work at a vet clinic and feal with xylazine all the time. excuse the abbrv. im on my kindle.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    How is your guy doing today? :hug:

11. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Praying he will recover <3

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is he? I pray, he is OK :hug: :pray:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know a vet who uses this drug all the time and I use it myself for disbuddings now. I give an extremely small dose, probably 1/4th of what the vet told me to give. And I do give it IV. Some will be out for about 3 hours, but usually after 1 1/2hrs they suddenly jump up and walk away and go do whatever they were doing before like nothing happened. You do want to keep an eye on respirations, eye reflex and heart rate. The castration procedure you described it very common. Pretty much all castrations are left open for the area to drain and it heals up on it's own. They are only stitched shut if it's fly season or something like that. I've seen lots of horses and goats done and they just knock them out, pull them out and thats it.

14. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Does it conk the kid out for disbudding? No side effects as of yet? That would be nice.

15. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    Slightly off-topic, I know. But I just wanted to mention that when I had Pan wethered I opted not to knock him out for it. My vet said that he could do the entire procedure in less than one minute with only brief short pain. He was right. From incision to done was probably less than thirty seconds and Pan didn't even cry out. He got a local pain blocker and banamine for a couple days. He recovered fast and well.
    I was very happy with the whole thing.

16. erisfae

erisfae Goat Mama

Sep 3, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks, to everyone who responded! Someone actually recommended smelling salts to help bring him around, mineral oil and milk of magnesia mixed together - 4 tablespoons of each. Also, vitamin B complex (four tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cool and given orally) along with probiotics - both these regimens again in 4 hours.

:leap: It really helped! We were up all night, but we got him through it and he's doing well this evening. He's eating, drinking and trying to take treats out of my pocket, when my back's turned. Not quite jumping around and causing chaos, as he normally does, but I wouldn't expect that for a few weeks, given the procedure. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed than he heals well!

17. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    So glad to hear he's up and around now! Good for you both!
    Keep us updated on how he does, if you don't mind?

18. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    How is your goat doing today? Anytime I have had a goat put under they always gave a reversal. I don't know what they gave them (never asked), but they would get pretty droopy, but once given the reversal would be up and around pretty quick.

19. erisfae

erisfae Goat Mama

Sep 3, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    He's actually doing well, thank you for asking! It took a few days of reduced appetite and lethargy, but he eventually got back to normal. Now, he's eating, drinking and running with our other goats. Yesterday, during a walk, he jumped two feet in the air, trying to get some yummy leaves. :D

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good to hear that he's recovered!! That had to be very scary for you and for him.