The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat willie is sick. He's a 5year old wether. This weekend we noticed he wasn't eatingmuch nor was he talking to us, which is so unusual. We thought he might have bloat, so we gave him baking soda and corn oil. Didn't seem to get much better. Rubbed his belly got one little burp out of him. Didn't seem to want to walk around either. Today we tried a saline disposable enama and a small amount of white stuff came out after the water of course and some watery blood. We are novices where goats are concerned. Appreciate you can give. Thankyou.

·
1,004 Posts
Have you gotten a temperature on him? How many days since you know he ate? At this point do not offer grain until he is back on track(if you feed grain) do you know how to check his color? Pull his bottom eyelid down and let us know the color, should be a nice bright pink. Lighter pink or white, not good.have you seen him pee? If not sure try to place in a clean stall.when did he be at the jasmine? If you think its poison force feed activated charcoal. There are a lot of what its right now, sorry. And sorry about all the questions but it will help us help you. So let's start with his temperature.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I agree...dose him with either acivated Charcoal and C D antitoxin..if you have niether then use Milk of magnesia...15 cc per 60#

You need to bind and flush the toxins...keep him well hydrated to help flush his system...give probiotics....
as stated..no grain until he is well 100%

a temp would be helpful...
is he chewing a cud? grinding teeth?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou for the advice! Have to get a thermometer. Do I need to know anything special about how to do it so I don't injure him? I have seen him chewing a cud. And I've seen him nibble on some hay and weeds also drinking. But I've not seen him urinate nor deficate. He did have pellets stuck to his anise. Some round some oval. I was told that was a sighn of straining. Also when we gave him the enema when I removed the droppings they were quite sticky. Does any of that help or mean anything? Oh he and our other wether ate the jasmine this past friday. It's late here so will check his color and temp in the morning. Thankyou again so very much. Oh no vet available that knows goats yet, still looking.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
No peeing is not a good sign....the straining is either him constipated or trying to pee...check his under belly where his penis is...is it wet, watch him pee...does it come in a steady stream or dribbles? read this article on Urinary Calculi....and start looking for a good vet...if he has UC he will need a good vet tohelp you help him....best wishes
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/urinarycalculi06.html

when taking his temp..just insert the tip of the thermometer like you would a baby...I use a digital for faster results and eay to read...

A fecal would be good to see if worms are an issue ( with the sticky poo)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts