The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to feed and seen one of my goat vomiting this morning. She did get out yesterday when I was gone so there is a chance she ate something she shouldn't have. What do I do?
Wood Door Plant Insect Trunk

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Was she eating grain before vomiting? Coukd she have choked? Can look quite scary! If not. Get activated charcoal in her asap...cd antitoxin shot asap...(not cd&t) what could she have gotten into?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Other than vomiting, what other symptoms is she having? Check her temp asap...101.5,-103 5 is normal range..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm about to go get charcoal now. She isn't eating. She's just staying to herself with her tail down. I will check temp when I get back.

I really can't think of anything see could have gotten into, we have no poison out anywhere around here.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Give activated charcoal then an hour later if she's no longer vomiting, let's do probiotics and dark beer. Darker the better. We have Guinness dark beer here. Give her 6 oz of room temp beer and the probiotics to help restore flora.
If she's still throwing junk up..we want her allow that to get rid of the bad stuff. Goats only throw up if ingested poison or when choking..so do a good check to see if anything is lodged in her Throat. Listen to her rumen side (left belly) for gurgle and feel for motion. Watch for poop to see if anything off there.
If she is not recovering from what ever she ate..I have a few recipes that may help...I'll post them below

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Lorraine Rhododendron poisoning blend
*Roughly 1/4 cup cooking oil, prevent more toxins from absorbing.
*1/2 cup strong strong cold English tea, which is the antidote
*1 teaspoon ground ginger for pain
*1 teaspoon baking soda to help bring up gasses.
Mix all together and drench one to two cc at a time. Smaller doses help the goat retain more if throwing up.
While your goat may not have got into Rhododendron..this recipe can still help.

Give thiamine or b complex to equal 500 mg thiamine to support her system while rumen is not well.
Keep fresh water and hay available to her. (Unkess she ate simthing like corn or lots of grain then no water for now)

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Give Milk of magnesia...15 cc per 60 pounds to help rid the toxins in place of activated charcoal

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
If you have access to quality essential oils..peppermint is excellent..can do a drop in her mouth and or rub diluted on her tummy. I also used a digestion blend with success aftera feed break in. Peppermint tea is soothing as well. Needs to be super strong. And cooled

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Best wishes. Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just gave her milk of magnesia and some cooking oil. She threw up on the milk stand. Her temp is 99.8. she is trying to eat a little but I haven't seen her drinking. She tried to pee but only a little comes out.

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
Her temp is a little low. See if you can warm her up a bit. If you have a stall and heat lamp you can put on her. A coat, anything like that.
Throwing up is actually good! She will throw up whatever is bothering her and if she has something stuck in her throat it will help dislodge it.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Don't offer any grain or feed..dry matter only. Hay, dry leaves..stuff like that. Her rumen is not able to digest well in her condition. Her temp is low and I would work on getting that up. A heat lamp, supervised, or a heater she can get near. If it drops much lower will need more of a heat source but can start here.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Redose MOM in 4 hours ..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts