Help goat with deep cut on leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Katherinehpr, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    My pigmy doe was playing on a hard plastic lawn Chair about a month ago & somehow got her leg at the ankle wedged in the back of the chair where the decorative spaces are about as wide as a pencils. When I found her -her ankle was grossly swollen and you could see it was cut into but could tell how deep due to swelling. I took her to the Vet ASAP. She was given antibiotics. The swelling went away and the cut was healing - she seemed to be doing very well until 3 days ago - I noticed she was limping again. I looked and the cut had spilt open & looked deep. I called the vet and she told me to scrub her leg and was given more antibiotics for internal & external. I was told to wash her leg twice a day and apply ointment & cover with gauze. Tonight as I washed her leg a flap of skin about 1 inch by 1 inch flapped back and underneath her bare bone was exposed!!! I am shocked and extremely worried. Can anyone give me advise?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. mayia97420

mayia97420 Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Get her to vet ASAP - infection in her bone is very serious - do antibiotics per vet

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would bring her back to the vet...bone being exposed maybe her flesh is rotting away from it?? or she re injured the leg tearing the skin..if the skin is healthy the vet maybe able to stitch the wound other wise he may have to cut away the rotting skin to save the rest...without seeing it its hard to tell...but a vet visit would be advised..I would also give a tetanus antitoxin shot if she is not UTD on her cd&t..

best wishes

4. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I'm taking her back to the vet first thing in the morning. She acts ok - just limping ... I am worried sick over this! What could cause this?

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    its hard to say..she could have ripped the scab off or her tender fresh scar...or infection is setting in...hopefully the vet will be able to answer once he sees her...

keep us posted

6. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Have you ever seen anything like this and will it heal?

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I had a doe that was attacked by a coyote before I owned her...she had a big patch on her back leg that never truly healed..it was to the bone as well...it had formed a crust of sorts...but every time she bummed it, it bled..we tried many things to help it , short of skin grafting...but ended up being best left alone..the leather like crust it formed actually kept it from infection and such...the vet advised us against wrapping it which caused it to stay moist...with your goat it maybe different..

8. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Thanks .... I will post again after she is seen at the Vets tomorrow. I just hope & pray she will be ok ...

9. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Make sure she continues to eat and drink, and doesn't become lethargic. B complex and probios will help keep her rumen functioning and her immune system up. Good luck!

10. JaclynnKappus

JaclynnKappus New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    My vet told me to wait another week and I brought my goat back early !and she said it was a good call ...go with your gut !get that get to the vet.... Stay on top of every thing till the goat is at 100% .... That's what work for me( I thought my young buck was going to lose half his foot or more)

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If the bone is exposed, she needs a vet.

12. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I took her to a different vet than the one I started out with - really disappointed in the care she got with the first vet .... Anyways this vet shaved away her fur & cleaned it real good & bandaged her - it wasn't bone I saw it was tendons- the wound is infected & the tissue is dying because of the original injury - lost circulation to that area. The vet gave her an injection of antibiotic (the other vet sent her home with pills -didn't wash or clean the wound no bandage) This vet said to bring her back Monday Morning to be checked & another injection & bandage change. The vet hopes they can get the infection under control - I can't hardly repeat this .... But here it goes - vet is concerned of her losing her foot .... I'm Believing Jesus to put His healing Hand on her to be good as new and completely whole.

Attached Files:

13. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear that :( . Prayers to you that she'll recover from her injury and all will be well. I'm sure Jesus will protect her no matter what happens, he loves all creatures great and small :hug:

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    so glad you got a good vet to care for her!! I cant believe the other vet gave pills!! which did little to no good for her at all!! poor baby!...Prayers sent for full recovery!!

15. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I feel so bad that I was so ignorant .... I have not had any experience with any thing serious with my goats - we have 4 - and I trusted the first vet I took her to - the vet is a small town country vet... Looking back I should have questioned everything! I just hope and pray she will recover 100%. She's a very loving & affectionate goat! What a difference the Vet I took her to this Morning! Like day & Night. She is a small town country vet as well. The 2 vets are within 5 miles of each other...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So glad you seen another vet.

We put a lot of faith in our vets to find they don't know much, which is so unfair and sad.
    So don't blame yourself, at least now she is getting the help she needs by a good vet and you know who not to go to.

Prayers for her.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with Pam....You trusted him because he was a vet..a trained professional who should have known better....sounds like you have a keeper now to form a good relationship with him so he will support your goats needs when most needed..

18. Katherinehpr

Katherinehpr New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your input & support. I will update as we see what each day gives us.

19. trinikid

trinikid New Member

Hey I Know what you are going through , don't worry be strong , stay positive , she will be fine i'm sure, but you might want to keep some Negasunt powder handy , it kills any bacteria ,and helps the graphing process with the skin ... some times the various sprays they use , somehow affects their eating behaviour , so I stuck to this one ..... hang in there ...

Attached Files:

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Never heard of Negasunt,some might not be able to get it. :(