HELP! Goats chased by neighbor dog now lost...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by staceyk, Jul 24, 2010.

1. staceyk

staceyk New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Thursday night, our 3 goats were in our pasture and we believe the neighbor's dog (a notorious livestock chaser and chicken killer) got into the pasture and chased the goats, who jumped the fence and ran into the woods across the street. The woods are really extensive - I had no idea until yesterday how much land was back there (we are new to the area).In looking for them late yesterday, my husband and a friend thought they heard a goat sound coming from the woods, but I heard nothing myself last night or this morning. I thought the goats might come back on their own, but it's been 36 hours and no goats. Also, they had only been here less than 2 weeks, so that might be an issue too. These goats are super-friendly, but I suspect they have been spooked and may not know how to get back. I've told every neighbor and am getting some help looking for them too. What else should I do?? I am heartbroken!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    worse case scenario.... the dog may of killed all the goats.... :( :hug:
    I am so sorry this happened... maybe call animal control... if the dog did kill or Mame your goats.... they can handle the issue and help investigate the situation.....

If the goats are still out and about then....are they use to ....shaking of a grain bucket..... or calling to them?

Do you see any poo pellet signs of maybe where they might of been?

I pray... :pray: you can find your goats.....that is heart breaking.... :( :hug:

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I really don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I am so very sorry. I hope you are able to find them, safe and sound.

4. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I am so sorry!

You are off to a good start telling all of your neighbors so they know to keep their eyes open.

Do you have any good pictures to make up a missing flyer? I would make up flyers and have them with you to hand out when you see people - that way they also have your phone numbers! Call Animal Control and the police is another idea if someone does pick them up and calls them they will know to call you!

Like Pam said - call them and shake grain a grain bucket. I have 48 acres and when the goats are towards the back and I want them I grab a grain bucket and shake it and call their names. My voice does travel a bit lols - but those goats do come a running and a trotting at the sound of me calling and the grain bucket is their reward and they know it lols. So when you are looking call their names and shake the bucket - hopefully they will hear on or the other if not both.

Also - you know the best way to get a lot of people looking? Post a reward! You would not believe how many people will take a little time off work to search for your goats hoping to get that reward!

Another idea is to ask around for someone with a GOOD herding dog that is good at finding lost stock. A good Border Collie can cover a lot of ground and find missing stock much quicker than a person - but those can be hard to find but still worth a shot.

Another thing I would do is leave the gates open for your goats to go through if you have not already done so that way if they do wander back they can get back in. If you have a hot fence - turn it off so if they are scared and hit it they will not get shocked.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! If I think of anything else I will post!

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Goats don't usually go too far away. My goats always yell back at me when I yell for them so keep trying. I hope everything works out for the best!

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Uhhgg...that's tough. I'm sorry they are gone. But with most goats, they get thirsty and hungry and will try and find their way home or go to someone's home close by and look for food especially if they were pretty friendly. I agree with putting up flyers around and try tack and feed stores as well just in case somone has picked them up or found them. The only other things you could try is to take a few people and take a dog or two to go out in the woods and look. If they come back or you get new goats in the future I would recommend getting a collar with a belle on it for one of the goats that way you can usually hear it from a ways away. Good luck and I sure do hope you find them! I would be so upset with that dog's owner!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    One thing - s s s - dog would be DEAD!

I sure hope you get ur goats ack - and everyone gave the advice I would have

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Awww...yes...sss...

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aww, poor goaties are likely scared but thank goodness they have plenty to eat, calling their names and if you gave them grain, shaking that in a bucket may bring them closer to home. Around here, everyone knows the SSS rule with dogs, natural instinct with most dogs though, it's up to responsible dog owners to keep that instinct in check.
    I hope the owner of the dog is sympathetic enough to be helping you in your search :hug:

10. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I"m sorry. I too would try the clankiest grain bucket I have.

11. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Ah crap! Hope you get them home safe and sound :sigh:

12. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    What is the SSS rule? (I tried google, but just found a bunch of stories about dogs killing chickens.)

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Shoot - shovel - shut up!

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    oh no! Any word Staceyk?

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I had this happen and it did not end well. We heard faint bleeting that night when our first goat was missing after being chased out of the pen. We called and called but could not find him. The next morning we found him close by in the tall weeds in the neighboring pasture. I won't go into details, but it was just awful. I hope you have better luck than I did.

16. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Any news? I hope it's all okay...

17. staceyk

staceyk New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Thanks to everybody. I found them this afternoon!!! There was one trail into the woods that I hadn't already tried, and they were in a open hunting cabin there. Girly (the oldest) was on a table in the cabin - there will be some goat poop to clean up LOL. They weren't far from home as many of you predicted, but maybe just far enough away that when i was calling for them they couldn't hear or couldn't get to me. I also think they just weren't familiar enough with the location of their home to find their way back (they were maybe 3/8 mile away). They seemed happy to see me, but no worse for wear, although they did seem a little affection starved and were sticking close to the barn tonight.

I am going to get collars and bells for them tomorrow so that I would have an easier time finding them if it ever happens again. I'm going to switch their access to pasture to be the one further away from neighbor dog. I'm also going to the interior fencing more secure so that when I am away from home, I can be more positive they will stay in the safety zone. I kinda wanted to consider a livestock guard dog, but hubby nixed that as we have 3 dogs already.

thanks again to everyone for both caring and for contributing ideas to the search!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: :cool: :clap: :thumb: :hi5: :hug: Oh... I am so happy they where found...congrats..... :greengrin:

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yay! I'm so happy you found them. I was having terrible flashbacks.