The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home yesterday had a yearling doe that was on the ground not moving body limp as can be .
Had no head control
And couldn't get up
Found dead this morning

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gave shot of complex b shot

Gave shot of tynol 50 shot
2 cc of each
Check on her 15 min later head was up thought it help but was dead this morning
Now another doe was laying next to the fire place
Walk up to her she fell down and is on her back what the hell.
She has a kid too.
Any thoughts all I'm at work now and no time for vet.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No poison snakes around and same brush and tress and grass hay they always eat
Does this souls like POLO
First Deathwe have had goats for 8 months and no new goats

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed that it seems to happen in 48 hours both seemed tired at first day Han next day lost of motor skills but poop is fine temp I'm not for sure of.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't notice eye twitch

Work right now won't be home until later today and I have a herd of 15 boer all are most

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Call the vet and have him there when you come home. If he wants to come early maybe you should declare a family emergency and leave early from work. Whatever it is it seems to be contagious or an environmental issue. So take care of it before youy lose any more than a couple hours of work and the one goat.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Im thinking more on the lines of poison of some sort. I don't have much exp with Polio so Im not sure how long they live after getting it? That might also depend on the goat? Someone here will know tons more on it!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
A necropsy would help.

There just aren't enough symptoms to go on. I would at least get a fecal done. They can still have a worm load even if stool looks normal.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update came home to check on the goats all look fine the one earlier that was down is now up and about like nothing was wrong.
So see what's up when I get back home tonight.
Only thing has changed
Is I stop feeding grain a couple weeks ago and been giving all fruit from the trees
Plums,pears,apple

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Could be rumen upset from too much fruit..or the leaves...

Peaches, Plums and Other Stonefruits

Wilting of the green leaves caused by frost, storm damage, or cutting precipitates changes to glucoside found in the leaves, changing it to hydrocyanic acid (HCN) and sugar. Those sweet, wilted leaves are more attractive to goats than fresh foliage. HCN content varies widely; but under some conditions, a few handfuls of leaves are enough to kill much larger animals such as horses or cows.

So, a cyanide poisoning should be suspected when sudden death of animals follows windstorms or an early, sharp frost. These leaves apparently lose their poison after they have become dry; it's the limp, green or partially yellowed leaves that hold the greatest danger. Stone-fruits also belong to this group.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could be I'm always chopping trees down to give them as treats
Oak
Sick more
Maple
Walnut
And this last time they ate every leaf too

·
Registered
30,614 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I messed up guys

I've been so busy lately that I haven't done much with the goats like I use to and haven't trimmed hooves or check over body for lice or eyes for worms..............
Well everyone is wormed loaded I mean about ten of them are solid white eye lids and others light pink the black doe from earlier was acting wires again when I check her eyes I was like holy ****!!!!!!!!!
So I had some liquid safe guard I gave everyone a load at 2cc in the mouth of it.
You all thing I should give more or stronger kind last time I wormed was 3 months ago
Have two more does to worm if I can catch them big bred girls but fast and not friendly lol....
Should have check for worms but been so busy working 70 hours a week 6 days a week 12 a day

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I'm sorry . It does seem to get away from you. I would choose a wormer with a bit more gusto than safe guard. Also you need to treat the anemia. Red cell 6. Cc per 100 pounds double day one reg. dose daily for a week the once a week until you have good color. vit B-12 is needed to support and help build red blood cells. High protein feed alfalfa and green leaves to help that as well. Rest and keep hydrated

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Safeguard should be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs. So they are way underdosed. It should also be done for 3 days in a row. But it only takes care of tapeworm. You really need Ivomec.

·
1,384 Posts
2 cc of safeguard for a boer goat is really not going to help. you could give them each 20 or 30 cc's for 3 days in a row and it still might not help.
You really need to research your wormers. there are a lot more effective ones available. and wont waste your money.
Over all you really need to do more research on parasites in general.
also, not sure you know this but Wild cherry trees, any cherry trees are poisonous.
slowly put them back on the goat grain. They need protein as mentioned above to build red blood cells. If introducing alfalfa hay start out very very slow and spread it out so everyone gets a little bit. They will bloat from it.
consider taking in fecal samples to your local vet.
check into coccidiosis, especially if you have kids or younger goats.
Some strnger wormers are:
cydectin
valbazen(not for pregnant animals)
syanthic
check and see if Liver flukes are a problem in your area. Liver flukes need a specific wormer for treatment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts