The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Complete newbie here ..... I bought 2 dwarf Nigerian/Nubian twins that were approx six months old 10/10/2020. My question is do does develop small udders and elongated teats as they get older OR only if they are pregnant ? I've noticed more rounded bellies and as of yesterday small udder sac and more prominent teats ...... I am hoping y'all can give me some insight if I need to worry about them having babies soon . Feeling a bit overwhelmed. We weren't planning or aware they could be pregnant when we bought them

6259FE5F-678E-4CE4-865D-761CBD5AAADC.jpeg
0BFCD097-BDFD-4B5A-9E50-5730432A2597.jpeg

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Hello and welcome to TGS!
To me it does look like they are forming udders.
The only time other than by being pregnant that they form udders is what is called a precocious udder.
Can you contact the place you bought them from and find out if they were around a buck?
I hope more experienced people will come on to help you soon.
I can totally understand being overwhelmed! Goat keeping has a steep learning curve as it is, pregnancies even steeper!
Good luck to you and your does!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only time other than by being pregnant that they form udders is what is called a precocious udder.
Can you contact the place you bought them from and find out if they were around a buck?
I can totally understand being overwhelmed! Goat keeping has a steep learning curve as it is, pregnancies even steeper!
Thank you for the quick reply ☺

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Yep...it COULD be precocious udder but if they are also getting rounded (of course that could be due to eating more) then it's likely they are bred. Do a blood test to be sure! Wont tell you when they would be due, but at least you will know to be expecting.

I'd say at a minimum they are 3.5 months along but could be more like 4-4.5. Which means they were bred WAY young.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
If you have a vet come out. You can ask the vet about lute. That is a shot that will cause them to abort the young babies. Since the does are so young..it may be another option for you. And your vet can duscuss it with you. Sometimes we have to make those hard choices.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Hi, welcome to TGS, I’m sorry you’re going through this and being overwhelmed. Goats are either great joy or a handful, that’s just the way it is. May I suggest..
Pictures from the rear looking towards the head they can also help Us tell. Babies are on the right,healthy rumens are on the left. Also pictures of their lady parts can let us see their pooches, which also can help tell.
I think contacting the breeder (if possible) and the vet are great recommendations. You can at least narrow down in general when they were exposed to a buck and if you need to abort. (for The health and safety of the does)
Most people wait until Nigerian dwarfs are at least 18 months old to breed their does but some do breed at a year. Anything younger puts both the does and kids at risk especially if they’ve not been getting the proper pregnancy diet. Too much grain can make babies grow too large to be passed and the does will need a cesarean which has many risks too.
I’m not trying to scare you, just point out the problems when does are bred too young. They also might not have the mental maturity to raise kids, being kids themselves. So getting the pregnancy confirmed or not will help guide your way forward and we’ll be here to help if you need it. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good morning. I so appreciate y’all taking time to respond .... I can’t believe I was so nieve when we bought them. We moved to acreage last summer. It’s always been my dream to have a small farm in the country. I was so excited about finally being able to get my goats I neglected to research the right questions to ask when you are buying goats. I am embarrassed that I was so ignorant .....
I will take pics of their hind end and belly’s and post in a bit. Before I bought them I had signed up for a goat club so I could learn and have local support. However, due to Covid nothing is “ active” so I’ve been reading a lot of books and watching you tube videos. I’m open to all advice

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Good morning. I so appreciate y'all taking time to respond .... I can't believe I was so nieve when we bought them. We moved to acreage last summer. It's always been my dream to have a small farm in the country. I was so excited about finally being able to get my goats I neglected to research the right questions to ask when you are buying goats. I am embarrassed that I was so ignorant .....
I will take pics of their hind end and belly's and post in a bit. Before I bought them I had signed up for a goat club so I could learn and have local support. However, due to Covid nothing is " active" so I've been reading a lot of books and watching you tube videos. I'm open to all advice
No embarrassment needed! :)
I don't think there's a goat owner alive who didn't do something nieve or uninformed before, so don't feel bad. I've made more than my fair share of mistakes. It's part of the learning curve. Books are great, videos too, but here is best because you can "talk" to folks who've been there done that lol.
Are you able to get them to a vet for a blood test? Do you have a good goat vet? If not, nows the time to track one down.
One step at a time, we'll help you get stuff figured out. This is the best, friendliest goat forum online, no one judges and we all LOVE goats and want to help.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree those pooches look like udders developing. Can you post photos of them looking down (like of their back/belly)? My girls don't usually develop udders until pretty close to kidding so depending on how far along they may be you might want to start gathering kidding supplies :)

I have one doe I just got that is a month from her due date and she has a udder like this but most of mine its only a week or two before delivery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts